• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there anybody out there? (No work.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

Hi folks,
After not crunching for a long time, I decided to fire up some work units. SETI has always been a little special to me because it's the first DC project I participated in, going back ... I'm not sure. Did they have an OS/2 client? I doubt that I crunched before that.

I fired it up and I'm not getting any work. I reset settings on the web page and I think I reset settings locally.

Is anyone else seeing this? I also added Rosetta and I'm crunching that as I type. Whatever the issue, it seems specific to SETI.

BTW... Pun intended. ;)

Boinc has had an update recently to support the seti v8 work, are you all up to speed on that? 7 units are incompatible and may be causing an issue somewhere

I just installed BOINC/SETI today. Looking ion the folder where everything gets downloaded all I see is the icons and related files:
Code:
olive setiathome.berkeley.edu # ls -l
total 148
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc 52779 Jan  2 15:25 arecibo_181.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc  2536 Jan  2 15:25 sah_40.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc 25488 Jan  2 15:25 sah_banner_290.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc 35399 Jan  2 15:25 sah_ss_290.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    71 Jan  2 15:29 slideshow_astropulse_v6_00
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    72 Jan  2 15:29 slideshow_astropulse_v6_01
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    75 Jan  2 15:29 slideshow_astropulse_v6_02
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    71 Jan  2 15:29 slideshow_setiathome_v7_00
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    72 Jan  2 15:29 slideshow_setiathome_v7_01
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    75 Jan  2 15:29 slideshow_setiathome_v7_02
-rw-r--r-- 1 boinc boinc    67 Jan  2 15:29 stat_icon
olive setiathome.berkeley.edu # pwd
/var/lib/boinc-client/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu
olive setiathome.berkeley.edu #

I used to run the lunatics optimized apps for both CPU and GPU. I recall that those had some config files. I'm guessing that there is still some remnant of those files still around that is preventing SETI from getting work.

I posted the startup log to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X1y4Wx0nhv6nWV0niA9Bloak_vye_a_dSlLMvv2PTB4/edit?usp=sharing and found the following:

Code:
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | No tasks sent
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | No tasks are available for SETI@home v7
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | No tasks are available for SETI@home v8
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | Tasks for CPU are available, but your preferences are set to not accept them
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | New computer location: home
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | General prefs: from SETI@home (last modified 02-Jan-2016 15:11:01)
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | Computer location: home
Sat 02 Jan 2016 03:25:26 PM CST | SETI@home | General prefs: no separate prefs for home; using your defaults

At the moment FAH is pretty much consuming my CPU and using my GPU. Would that prevent download of SETI work units? Otherwise I cannot tell what preferences would prevent this. I have also set processor limit (or whatever that's called) to zero so there is no CPU load limit.

As an aside, the BOINC manager is really annoying! It grabs focus if the mouse gets anywhere near it and just now it wouldn't let me leave the desktop it's running on. Kept pulling me back. Neither would it exit. I had to kill it from the command line.

thanks,
hank

Having spent some time today looking at why I have 3 machines setting ideal. I conclude it is a mess since the switch to v8. v8 doesn't use GPU ---- yet ---- and they seem to have no idea when it might, or I can't find a statement by anyone as to when.

All my 3 machines are setup the same. One gets a few WU that use opencl on the Nvidia GPUs. Otherwise .....

Thanks for the link it may help others, I did see that a few days ago.

I'll go fold till they get things working in reasonable order.

It seems to be working on one of my machines (have to wait to update the other one). Both machines are laptops with the Intel embedded GPU.

It is processing the data very quickly...much quicker than before. Could be that version 8 is faster, or could be smaller work units.

I'm going to wait until Lunatics makes an installer...that link seems kind of creepy...

I'm back! Apparently.

I was doing something on my PC and things were really sluggish so I looked at 'top' to see what was happening. I had shut down FAH for other reasons and was surprised to see a seti process using CPU cycles. I fired up the BOINC GUI and found that it had a bunch of GPU work it was doing. I had tried to get that going a while ago and it just sat there with nothing to do so I ram FAH on 7 of 8 CPU cores and the GPU. Maybe shutting that down triggered seti.

Anyway... I set it for no more work. With the weather warming it just keeps the place too warm to keep going.

(*) Win10 running on VMware was really sluggish. Worse than running on native Win10 on my wife's laptop (which has a celeron.) I wonder now if it wasn't just the perception of really slow performance due to slow screen updates. I'm also running it off an encrypted $HOME that's on a RAID0 of 2 SSDs. Maybe there's too much going on there.

Back