• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FILE TRANSFER BETWEEN TWO COMPUTERS IN THE SAME ROOM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
would it be faster if I took the switch out and ran them through my router, or is that just that?

Id be curious to hear why the switch is slowing you down as it is 10/100 (doesn't that mean it tops out at 100 Mb/s?) but as a practical answer I can tell you that your router will very probably do the job faster. I would say "definately" but since I dont know whats going on :under the hood" I dont want to say wrong. Long story short: if your router has multiple ports it should do all the networking crud for you. I think you would only need a switch in there to bridge connections and such.

Without hijacking the thread, I still wonder why you arent getting better speeds from a 10/100 card. I just did a quick search and it showed that the card does indeed top out at 100 Mb/s and should give you most of what your ISP can push out as far as transfer speeds. I would think you should get full speed from one machine to the next (no bothering with the internet, info from Rig1 to Rig2 through the router).

that was what I was asking, would taking the switch out make it faster.
the switch is in the circut so i have only one cable running all the way over to the router.

when I go down to the big peoples place to do a talk we download the show in the guys office and do a walk through or two so he has a grasp of the whole picture.
he them shoots the show over to the computer in the big room and we walk down a hall, up one floor and down another short hall and by the time we get there the show is there also and these files are 100's of gigs.

Next thing to suspect is cables and router. Drivers as well I guess. After that id be in this sam forum asking the same thing :)

I think it is what it is.
at least I'm not stuck when the usb 3.0 doc will only work on usb 2.0, I'll just have to plan ahead a little bit.

it's an old, cheap d-link I bet not.

how much faster "might a gigabit be?

Id be curious to hear why the switch is slowing you down as it is 10/100 (doesn't that mean it tops out at 100 Mb/s?) but as a practical answer I can tell you that your router will very probably do the job faster. I would say "definately" but since I dont know whats going on :under the hood" I dont want to say wrong. Long story short: if your router has multiple ports it should do all the networking crud for you. I think you would only need a switch in there to bridge connections and such.

Without hijacking the thread, I still wonder why you arent getting better speeds from a 10/100 card. I just did a quick search and it showed that the card does indeed top out at 100 Mb/s and should give you most of what your ISP can push out as far as transfer speeds. I would think you should get full speed from one machine to the next (no bothering with the internet, info from Rig1 to Rig2 through the router).

I think we need clarification, cd are you getting 12Mb/s or 12MB/s? If the former then I don't have an answer, if the latter then that is approximately equal to 100mbit which is limited by your switch's max speed.

If your router is gigabit you will get faster transfer speeds. Likewise if you upgraded to a gigabit switch.

sounds like I need to get a gigabit router, or switch.
this dir-615 is not gigabit.

less than $50 for a gigabit switch, will be my cheapest upgrade ever!!!!!

less than $50 for a gigabit switch, will be my cheapest upgrade ever!!!!!
Yeah, gigabit switches are super cheap now. I paid $40 shipped for my Dell Powerconnect 5224, but that is massive overkill for what you need.

Well!!!!!
you really have to work on how you name things!!!!!
on day two you find that you have files, folders, drives, computers and things all named the same and that can make it pretty tough.

you also have to watch how deep you make your folders..........

picked up a gigabit switch this morning and gave it a go.
with the d-link, fast Ethernet switch transfer speed was about 12-13 MB/second.
with the gigabit switch it was about 111-112 MB/second, transferring the same file.
so it's much, much faster.
I live in a small town about like Hooterville and selection is rather small so I just picked up a Netgear gs605, when I get to get out to Mayberry I'll see about a better piece.

transferring a much larger, single folder of 8 video file, 828 gigs, it slows to around 65MB/second that's still a lot better than what I was getting.

Last edited:
After the cache fills on the receiving computer, it is normal for it to slow down. Still a lot better than what it was.

ok, found out why it was much slower than expected, the drive I was copying to was not directly connected to a sata cable, it was in a hot swap bay.
I would have never thought that the little circuit board would slow the transfer so much.
I removed the hot swap circuit board and retested with the 828 gig file and it maintains around 104 MB/second when attached to a sata cable.

Back