• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI audio or SPDIF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think there is much of a difference really, unless you use toslink with SPDIF. Both connection types can carry uncompressed stereo signal and/or compressed surround.
HDMI has few advantages on the bitrate and can carry lossless surround if you are into movies and own a decent home theather system.

HDMI natively supports surround while S/PDIF must use compression for surround modes. Running HDMI through a receiver can add lag and may require the receiver to be on for the monitor to work. A good solution is to use a HDMI splitter. (That requires the receiver to be able to accept the same pixel clock as the monitor, so those running something higher than 1080p would be out of luck with older receivers.) You can also use another output on your GPU (may cause some GPUs to run hotter) or use the onboard HDMI for audio only.

In the end, while HDMI seems to be a great idea on paper (minus the DRM junk, that is) and is certainly very usable, I kind of wished they implemented the audio part as an extended version of S/PDIF so that a passive adapter can split the audio and video signals.

iv never experienced lag when running hdmi through the receiver... do you mean input lag for gaming?

and thanks for all that great info :thup:

well depending on your setup, i mean how you have things routed and through how many devices. it is does happen to have the audio lag behind whats going on. if its a moves its like watching a kung fu movie subb'd to English.

iv never experienced lag when running hdmi through the receiver... do you mean input lag for gaming?

and thanks for all that great info :thup:
Some receivers do and others don't. It's actually the more expensive receivers that are more likely to have that issue.

Back