• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Batman Arkham Knight - frame drops . Ram or HDD issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sew333

Hello all.

I have weird fps drops when driving batmobile to 45 fps + for a second and then back again to 70-80fps.
My cpu is 4790k, Asus Strix 980 Ti. I checked in youtube some user movies with the same GPU and CPU but with 16gb ram and they dont have that drops to 45-50 fps while driving in batmobile. Only me is dropping to 45-50 fps when i am driving fast in batmobile. Fps just goes to 45-50 fps and back again to 70-80s. Other peoples when i saw youtube dont have that problem.
So i have a question. Is this because of my ram or maybe i must buy SSD? I checked usage of ram and its nearly 6gb. Cummulative usage of ram is 10gb. I must buy more ram or not? Thx
I have the newest drivers.
ps:
I know that game is not optimized well, but why other peoples have stable 70-80fps when me not.
I am confused . Because ram usage is 5.8gb and cummulative usage is 10 gb. I have Windows 10. Is this because of ram or maybe i must have SSD? Game just after 3-4 minutes of gameplay starts lagging like i said.
Yes temps of cpu and gpu are fine. No throttling.
My pc:
4790k stock
8gb ram 1600mhz
Asus Strix 980 Ti
Windows 10
newest drivers nvidia

Please help me. I must decide today to buy 16gb ram or not.
I minimize game to check ram usage:
image.jpg

So what better to buy first? SSD or 16gb ram?

You watched a youtube video and................. you really need to stop that already. You are CONSTANTLY comparing apples to oranges (and in the process, likely stressing out about a half dozen websites with your cross forum posting).

You can get 16GB of ram, it may be the issue... here is what I googled: https://www.google.com/search?q=Bat...9i60.183j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

As you already know, the game is very poorly optimized.

If you want to slightly improve some of the issues additional memory and an SSD to load the game from are supposed to make things better.

But for some reason other peoples dont have that drops while driving in Batmobile. They have on max details stable 70-80fps when me not. :( So it must be ram or hdd then.

But for some reason other peoples dont have that drops while driving in Batmobile. They have on max details stable 70-80fps when me not. :( So it must be ram or hdd then.

That's exactly what I just said:

yours truly said:
If you want to slightly improve some of the issues additional memory and an SSD to load the game from are supposed to make things better.

Yes but why first better to buy SSD or 16gb?

Here is my actuall usage when i am in game:

image.jpg

Yeah but according to my ram usage it can be ram problem? 5,8-6.0 gb is in use , and 10gb is cummulative use.

Asking the same question 3 times in an ever so slightly different way will not bring new answers. In fact that is the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.

Sew, you saw the google link I provided... read what it says and maybe come back and ask a different question...

Kind of shocked how someone could spend $600+ on a video card and still not have a $65 ssd in 2016....

I think you have some kind of virus or malware or something running in the back ground. Game requirements are

QUOTE from geforce.com ULTRA System Requirements
•OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
•Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
•Graphics Memory: 4 GB
•DirectX®: 11
•Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
•Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

When a game plays it first loads into memory from the HDD if you don't have enough memory the hard drive does file swapping. If your game was loading data from the HDD or SSD while playing it would causes very bad hitching or stalling.

When your FPS drops like that it usually is performance problem. I would check my CPU temp first then do a virus scan and if that does not work I would format the drive to reinstall the OS and games.

Last edited:
I checked cpu and gpu temps. They are fine. Cpu temps are 55C. Gpu temps are 70C. No throttling. I have the newest drivers.
Like i said after 3-4 minutes of gameplay when i am driving in batmobile around the city, fps can drop randomly 45-50 fps and again up to 70-80C. And i am hearing only HDD, HDD is working and working.

Or maybe more ram? I read that SSD vs HDD nothing help with performace in game. So i dunno.

Maybe... yuo are going to be hard pressed to find someone that has the game on a HDD and an SSD that can test for you.. or that will take out some ram to match yours. Your best bet is to read the link I provided and make the choice for yourself.

If you are running out of ram, then ram would help. If it is the HDD being beat up for whatever reason, an SSD would help as it is faster. In your case, I would try more ram first and see if that helps. If the HDD is still getting beat on, I would see WHY it is getting beat on and likely replace it with an SSD (I also agree... $600 GPU but no SSD? WTH??!!).

But my god sew, you really are stuck in the fine details for very little reason. The FPS are plenty playable even with the drop. in this one, poorly programmed game. You remind me of my 4 year old that runs to me with every single little problem... its time to man up and use that PC and forget about the details that has you stressing!!!

Earthdog yes i am very greatful for your help and answers. Today i bought new 16gb ram kit. For 3 hours i will install new ram and see if it helps. I will post here reply.:))) Hope will help. If not of course 16gb ram will be useful in future. THen i will buy SSD :)

Guys. I checked fps , when i am gettting that drops to 45-50 fps my gpu usage is going to 40% and then again up to 70%. So this is not ram or ss related. What can it be then??? My psu is Corsair 750 RM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back