• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this make sense?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

I have a chance to get a good deal on the following second hand monitor...

BENQ BL3201PH 32 inch 4K (3.5 year warranty direct replacement from Best Buy included with purchase)

The problem is that I only have one 970 to run it and I can't afford to upgrade my GPU's until the Pascal chips are released at which point I'll either look to grab a second hand 980ti or if I can afford it go straight for the Pascal.

If I do get the above monitor would I even be able to get 60fps @ High/Ultra specs at 2k or am I dreaming?

The type of gaming I do includes league of legends, some older racing games (dirt 3, grid 2), RPG's, adventure, games I currently play include Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, Fallout 4...just mentioning the ones I feel would be the most graphic intensive. I also really enjoy Euro Truck Simulator 2. I don't play FPS and don't plan on it.

I know I posted about monitors recently regarding gsync etc and to be honest, a 2k 144hz gsync solution is too expensive, options are few and quality control seems to be a hit and miss. I'd rather enjoy a nice screen for movies and the games I play then push FPS and 144hz.

I guess what I'm asking is, do I go for that BENQ or forget it, stick with what I have and do a better upgrade later this year.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
If I do get the above monitor would I even be able to get 60fps @ High/Ultra specs at 2k or am I dreaming?
I assume you mean 1920x1080p, correct? 2K is 2048x1080..

Assuming 1920x1080, then yep! What matters is the resolution you run the game at. That said, not sure how it will look not running at the native resolution because of scaling, but, it can be done. Whatever FPS your card produces on a 1080p monitor, it will produce on a 4K UHD1 monitor set at 1920x1080 to game.

As far as it making sense, that is up to you to decide. Seems logical to me.. just make sure the monitor is 60Hz (look up its specs).

I assume you mean 1920x1080p, correct? 2K is 2048x1080..

Assuming 1920x1080, then yep! What matters is the resolution you run the game at. That said, not sure how it will look not running at the native resolution because of scaling, but, it can be done. Whatever FPS your card produces on a 1080p monitor, it will produce on a 4K UHD1 monitor set at 1920x1080 to game.

As far as it making sense, that is up to you to decide. Seems logical to me.. just make sure the monitor is 60Hz (look up its specs).

Hmm...now I'm really confused :D

I understand that my current 970 has no hope in running that 32 inch BENQ at it's max resolution of 3840 x 2160 for gaming so I'm wondering if it would run things smoothly at 2560 × 1440? (smoothly meaning 60fps at high or better game settings)

If I'm only able to run it at 1080p then there's no point in buying it. The monitor is 60hz for DP and 30hz for HDMI.

Thanks.

From what I'm reading a 970 should be fine for 2k resolution for most games on ultra, aa may need to be decreased but seems all else should be fine.

2K (1920x1080 I think is what you mean here, right?) At 970 is fine, yep. For 2560x1440, it will be fine for most titles. As time goes on more sacrifices will have to be made because of vram. At 2560x1440 with default ultra settings in battlefront, I use 3.6gb.

Earthdog does not like the 2k 2560x1440 definition the PC industry is using. Anyway I set my GTX 970 to 2k and it cut my peak frames Per second to 60 from 80-100 and 4 k it cut the FPS to 30.

Alright, I got dis! :D If I can snag the BENQ I will!

Earthdog, I finally understand what you're saying but no by 2k I meant 2560x1440 :D Damn the PC industry for teaching me wrong things!

Last edited:
Monitor was sold to someone else before I could go and see it :(

Back