• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3G dongle for tablet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Not sure if I should post this in the internet section, or here...

I am getting tired of having to drive a friend to the local Walmart or Micky D's for the free wifi for updating facebook, or getting the latest "candy blahblah" games that she wants to do on her tablet..she doesn't want to have to pay for constant on demand internet when she only wants to update her games mostly and as an afterthought maybe update FB once in a while.

So, I'm thinking of getting her a 3g usb dongle as 3g is starting to be reasonable in price but do not know what is the best to get for At&t and verizon.... Specifically will I have any trouble with a dongle that is HSDPA and GSM compatible?
I have seen some on Ebay buy it now for around $11.00 U.S.... some even have TF card slots as well as the SIM slot.
I seen one that connects, and also acts like a router

Any advice will be most appreciated, and Thank You in advance,
Doc

Edit: I would also like to use it with Tracfone data plans as well Thks

If she does not have a smartphone to tether to I would rather buy one of the cheaper moto e phones and put it on a straightalk data plan. Then she can tether the tablet whenever and wherever she wants. Much better option that a dongle IMO.

You have to make sure the tablet will support USB On-The-Go function. Not all tablets have this functionality.

What is the tablet your trying to get to use with a Dongle?

Well, She has a cheap Chinese tablet that has OTG and bluetooth and all the other goodies. I think hers is a "Trio" 10 inch...now thinking strongly about getting a dongle for mine also. I have the "Dragon Touch X10" 10.1 inch...also OTG ready. After looking at the options, I am also considering one of those hotspots, as I can get a few ladies to update their tablets at the same time if I decide to share my data once in a while (they can contribute to the cost of the data) and I won't have to drive to wallyworld every so often.
I have been looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUAWEI-E557...b3974e3&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=171344928463 and this dongle http://www.ebay.com/itm/171344928463?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT So am I in the ball park? I want something that will work with either AT&T or Verison, but it doesn't have to be compatible with both at the same time. I live in the city,so either network should work. Thanks again for the replies,
Doc

Back