• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED LVM Partitions and Reinstalling Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

Currently using a YUMI USB Drive and Linux Mint 17.3

I tried LVM, and started getting weird input/output errors and problems, so I went to reinstall. Problem is, now my SSD is showing up like this:
- 2 devices in "Disks" - root and swap
- Not at all in gParted
- Nothing found with sudo lvm vgscan "read failed input/output error"

Here's a screenshot of all that:
Screenshot from 2016-01-08 00:54:44.png

What do I need to do to just wipe the disk out and start fresh without LVM? I thought it might be worth the hassle, but clearly not this time around for me.

Thanks,
Tyerker

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll try that, if I can manage to get it on this USB without a windows computer, haha.

Paying for Linux software?! You must be crazy...

Will a bootable gParted do the trick?

Thank you. Mint has gParted built in, and when running gParted from the USB Mint, it did not detect the LVM partitions. Hoping gParted's standalone live distro will work.

Every distro has its "own" software and gparted is from the GNOME repos. You can try the different ones for the different Ubuntu versions if you like. gdisk might also be of some help )use at your own risk really, Im not sure if it will do this for you). gdisk is similar to fdisk but for making gpt partition... you know as I type this Im realizing that fdisk might be what you need. Anyway <fdisk -l> or <gdisk -l> should show all partitions and allow you to make changes.

I was able to use a parted iso (i think it ran on Arch) and was able to wipe out the partition table. Thanks for your help, guys!

Back