• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX9590 unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jake7xx

So my specs: amd fx9590, motherboard: Asus crosshair v formula z, GPU: GTX 970 Asus Strix, ram: Kingston hyper x 16gb (2×8) cpu cooling: cooler master nepton 240m.

The cpu crashes doing simple tasks, like browsing, and I'm not even going to mention games... I have a corsair rm1000i psu, and the 4 pin is populated aswell as the 8pin. My temp aren't the problem as they don't go over 37oc at idle, when I try prime95 it crashes within 20 seconds, where the temps don't reach over 40oc. There is no error, just a frozen screen, mouse doesn't move nothing. Have to do a reset to boot it up again

What speed and timings on the Kingston sticks?

Wanted to add this you may want to have a read through it.

Last edited:
So my specs: amd fx9590, motherboard: Asus crosshair v formula z, GPU: GTX 970 Asus Strix, ram: Kingston hyper x 16gb (2×8) cpu cooling: cooler master nepton 240m.

The cpu crashes doing simple tasks, like browsing, and I'm not even going to mention games... I have a corsair rm1000i psu, and the 4 pin is populated aswell as the 8pin. My temp aren't the problem as they don't go over 37oc at idle, when I try prime95 it crashes within 20 seconds, where the temps don't reach over 40oc. There is no error, just a frozen screen, mouse doesn't move nothing. Have to do a reset to boot it up again

EDIT: the RAM frequency is 1866MHz and the timings are: DRAM CAS latency: CHA: 11, CHB 11, set to AUTO

My bios is version 2.10.1208

I would suggest you try resetting BIOS to defaults by hitting f5 , save and exit. Then try running p95 again.
I have seen more than once these CPUs/boards have trouble with kingston 2x8 gig sticks

As the MythBusters would say "There's your problem" as they point to the FX-9590 :rofl::chair:

I got 1 myself and could not keep it cool for nothing, I even got a AIO Nepton 280L from CoolerMaster and that faled to keep it cool after 2 or 3 hours.
Some people get lucky and the chip they get is great, I got the chip from hell :rofl:

If you have not updated the BIOS, do what CC said to do then go from there.

It hangs from low volt issues. VRMs don't seem to respond in time for CPU request voltage.

Turn off cool and quiet and c6 and c1e.

Then the issue is still low volt in most cases 1.488v would be minimum to run the processor at 4.7ghz. Should set CPU volts to 1.5250v (or whatever your suggested p-state would be at 4.5ghz and higher) to obtain stability.

Then use LLC (load line calibration), to stabilize v-core and requested Max p-state voltage, use ultra high setting.

However, feeding said 9590 with its wanted voltage creates a heat problem.

2 ways to tackle this...

One keep CPU socket temps as close to 50c or less when possible and CPU core temps below 60c. This is rather difficult to do.

Two, run CPU with no turbo at 4.7ghz and try for 1.488v with LLC on ultra high.

Shutting off cores does not effect low volt hangs. It will however lower temps which may help, but useless if you want an 8 core chip.

The cool and quiet is nice but robs processor the chance to request a lot of volts. You may notice while this feature is on during light usage the v-core is higher during a very light load vs a full load. This is a direct result of LLC on auto. It does not bump up volts as required to run a full load and thus prime95 will crash straight away.

But 1.488v had seemed to be a sweet spot, so I recommend this voltage as a starting point.

Good Luck.

The cpu crashes doing simple tasks, like browsing, and I'm not even going to mention games... There is no error, just a frozen screen, mouse doesn't move nothing. Have to do a reset to boot it up again

This seems to be a common problem! My buddy had the same type of problem back in summer, 2014, which resulted in him getting the 8350 that ended up being given to me in September, 2014.

I think he RMA'ed the processor! It feels like AMD is trying to hide widespread defects in the FX 9590s! (At least, that's the feeling I get!)

I was on Skype with my buddy in July, 2014, IIRC and the call would keep getting interrupted with the message "There's a problem with this call". (or similar)

I definitely feel your pain. I remember those crashes well... It's ironic that 8350s seem to do better!

Just chiming in...

Last edited:
This seems to be a common problem! My buddy had the same type of problem back in summer, 2014, which resulted in him getting the 8350 that ended up being given to me in September, 2014.

I think he RMA'ed the processor! It feels like AMD is trying to hide widespread defects in the FX 9590s! (At least, that's the feeling I get!)

I was on Skype with my buddy in July, 2014, IIRC and the call would keep getting interrupted with the message "There's a problem with this call". (or similar)

I definitely feel your pain. I remember those crashes well... It's ironic that 8350s seem to do better!

Just chiming in...

The 9590's have no defects. Most people just don't have the hardware and cooling for them. Or they try and overclock them. Then they don't know what to do when nothing they try works. Many people buy them and put them in motherboards rated for 95 watt cpu's etc...

It's not widespread defects with these processors, it's the amount of voltage and cooling they require to run correctly.

Fx9590 project stabilize

I have the same fx9590 on Asus sabertooth fx990 rev2.0 , psu evga supernova@1300watts , cooling corsair h110i and running @5100.34 and my rams tridentx2400 4x4 16gb this seems to be the sweet spot on mine.if you're running on the default speed try using manual offset with + sign on cpu/nb voltage everything auto llc LLC on ultra till you find sweet spot all power features disable. Test if still don't work something not right as I find 1.45 is voltage for default by the way Asus recommend a minimum of 1000 watts PSU for this chips. Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Minimum power supply 1000watts anything lower not good

Ridiculous.
Post some pics. You have a better chance of being believed.
Talk is cheap.

My final voltage 1.466 @5100.34 if still having problems let me know maybe I can help

- - - Updated - - -

Talk is cheap if you don't know what you're doing pretending is deception

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to help and I see bitterness

Minimum power supply 1000watts anything lower not good
Aval0412 it's nice to see you trying to help but I have to comment on this. You do not need a minimum of 1000w Psu to run a Fx 9590 at stock clocks speed. Yes they do draw a lot of voltage but not 1000w, at stock clocks one could easily run one on a quality 650w Psu.

Aval0412 it's nice to see you trying to help but I have to comment on this. You do not need a minimum of 1000w Psu to run a Fx 9590 at stock clocks speed. Yes they do draw a lot of voltage but not 1000w, at stock clocks one could easily run one on a quality 650w Psu.

Not to mention, the op has a 1000w psu and if it were a power issue the rig would reboot not freeze.

Back