• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these good setups for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

I currently have an older computer that I built in 2010. Specs are below. I was thinking about the new core i7 6700 with ddr4 memory but a few people have said that is overkill. So I have looked at the following setup below my current setup. Let me know what you think.

2010 Custom:

core i7 920 nehalem @ 3.6 ghz
16 gb DDR3 1600 mhz
Gigabyte ex58 UD5 (usb 2)
1 TB SSD Sata6 (250+mbps read)
nVidia 480GTX (2GB DDR3 version)

New Possible Build:
core i7 4790 4ghz LGA-1150
mSi z97a 1150 gaming motherboard
mushkin blackline 16gb ddr3 PC-19,200
corsair RMX RM850x 850 watt power supply
1TB Sandisk extreme pro SSD
nVidia 980 GTX Ti 6gb video card

EDIT: What type of performance will the custom PC get with a 980GTX Ti? I am hoping for 30-60fps while playing witcher 3/fallout 4 in 4k. I dont want anything to ever drop below 30fps.

Also What about running my 480GTX as a dedicated physX card and the 980 Ti as the main card? I am using my old 8800GT as my physX card right now.

Last edited:
With a better GPU I would choose the custom system personally

With a better GPU I would choose the custom system personally

If I was to go with another 480GTX in SLI would that be the equivalent of 1 x 980 GTX or R9 390? What card with my other setup would give me max settings in fallout & consistent 60fps?

2 480s will not come close to a 980. Don't do it. It won be a power hungry heater and not have enough vram to play modern games smooth anyway as the memory doesn't add up.

just use the custom setup and get a 980, sli/xfire have improved but still a bigger single card always wins.

Thanks guys! I am just wondering if my CPU will bottlekneck a 980 ti? I had read somewhere that even an older i7 like the 920 I have @ 3.4+ ghz is still more than overkill for games. Is this true? My goal is to get 30-60fps consistent, nothing below 30fps ever while running 4k games. Will a 980 GTX Ti with 16gb DDR3 and my core i7 get that done?

I just installed a 1TB SSD. Sandisk extreme pro.

EDIT: What about running my 480GTX as a dedicated physX card and the 980 Ti as the main card? I am using my old 8800GT as my physX card right now.

Last edited:
It will put a glass ceiling on some ties, but it depends on that and your settings etc...

Drop the physx card friend...it isn't remotely needed where you are, or for most people honestly. The 980ti would handle it just fine.

It will put a glass ceiling on some ties, but it depends on that and your settings etc...

Drop the physx card friend...it isn't remotely needed where you are, or for most people honestly. The 980ti would handle it just fine.

ok thanks for helping. Question. I ran a Fire strike extreme test with my current setup. Custom PC. It gave me a 1405. Is that the 480GTX fault? I am just wanting to make sure my 250 MBPS SSD & Core i7 920 with 16gb pc 1600 ddr3 wont be the issue before dropping $600+ on a video card.

FS does have a cpu component. The more cores and clockspeed you throw at it, the better the score will be regardless of gpu. That said, get the gpu. As mentioned already, you will have a bit of a glass ceiling with your system in some titles, yes. But I still think it's worth it.

You are gaming at 1080 or higher, yes?

FS does have a cpu component. The more cores and clockspeed you throw at it, the better the score will be regardless of gpu. That said, get the gpu. As mentioned already, you will have a bit of a glass ceiling with your system in some titles, yes. But I still think it's worth it.

You are gaming at 1080 or higher, yes?

Yes I am trying to game @ 4K. I want 30-60fps. I don't ever want to dip below. Would love to get 50-60fps consistently.

Can I get that with this system or do you recommend me getting a new board, Cpu and ram?

I edited my original post to show a new system I have looked at building. How would that system be for running games? Would it be future proof or should I go with the socket LGA-1151 instead with the ddr 4 memory and the new core i7 6700?

If you are going to build new, go skylake and z170. If you are overcloxking, you would want 6700k. Grab some ddr4 2800-3000 cl15 and you are set...

4k uhd you would likely want more than a 980ti for the minimum fps you require.... it depends wlon what you are playing and the settings in those games. here is a highly overclocked 980ti:https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Lightning/1.html

Last edited:
If you are going to build new, go skylake and z170. If you are overcloxking, you would want 6700k. Grab some ddr4 2800-3000 cl15 and you are set...

4k uhd you would likely want more than a 980ti for the minimum fps you require.... it depends wlon what you are playing and the settings in those games. here is a highly overclocked 980ti:https://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Lightning/1.html

Is this a good board? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128880

I have gigabyte ud5 and love it but I heard that msi is the way to go for true gaming.

You have a Z170 UD5 already?

No I have a gigabyte EDX 58 Ute five which is a LGA1366 for my i7 920.

I just heard the brand MSI was better.

I ran my mac pro 2013 with dual D700's last night and did a few tests. I was able to get crossfire x running with it as well.

I got 5409 points for the firestrike extreme test, 9700 points for the firestrike test, & 28,675 for the skydiver test. Are the strong results?

I also ran fallout four and I was able to get a consistent 60 frames per second in 1080P with everything maxed out. I'm also able to 4K ultra HD on medium settings and get between 22 and 30 frames per second.

I am wondering how much better the 1151 socket core I7 6700 overclocked to 4.5 GHz with 980gtx Ti will give me, and if I SLI 2 x 980gtx Ti.

I also noticed I can't go beyond 30 Hz and/or 30 frames per second in 4K from the mac pro via HDMI.

Will I be able to get 60 Hz/60fps with HDMI via the 980 GTX Ti?

Any Z170 motherboard is perfectly fine for a gaming machine.

Are you sure the Mac Pro is capable of showing over 30Hz on the 4K display?
A lot of 4K monitors are limited to 30Hz.

Any Z170 motherboard is perfectly fine for a gaming machine.

Are you sure the Mac Pro is capable of showing over 30Hz on the 4K display?
A lot of 4K monitors are limited to 30Hz.

I get 60hz with Netflix and other sources. It may be the 1.4 HDMI on the Mac Pro.

First you will want a 4K panel that supports 60Hz properly, there still aren't that many of them out there. (with the exception of the upcoming ASUS panel that is 4K + 144Hz)

Secondly, if you are yearning for a new build, don't go 4790k... Purely my opinion, but if you are going to throw down the money to upgrade anyway, just go Skylake with appropriate components.

Third, MSI vs Gigabyte? Who told you MSI was "better for gaming"? I use and love MSI products, but there is no "better for gaming" when it comes to motherboards. As far as the 2 companies go, just from what I've heard on various forums, Gigabyte seems to be far better with customer service/RMA experience whereas MSI seemingly comes up similar to ASUS in a 50/50 chance of getting everything sorted properly and in a timely fashion. No idea how true that is, but purely what I've found when doing my own research (particularly in relation to vid cards, but still gives an idea regardless).

Last edited:
Back