• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is temperature the only thing that can damage a processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eildosa

Hi,

I have a i5-3570k, I pushed it to 4.6Ghz with @ 1.3V, on load I get a 40°C (big noctua cooler)
Since I only started overclocking yesterday I do not know much.

Is temperature the only thing that can hurt it? meaning that even if I keep the temp under 60°C ther is a voltage where I should not go?

Thanks.

Definitely stay below 1.4v max and less than 90c (less than 80, personally).

I'm concerned that you aren't monitoring the correct temp if your current load max is only 40. My guess is, it's probably closer to 60.

What software are you using to measure temp?

Speed fan. it's true that it says that my temp is 12°C idle while the ambiant temp is 18°C currently.
So the sensor is at least 6°c too low.

So even If I truly had 60°[email protected] (I did not try) it would be bad for the cpu?

1.7 would almost certainly destroy the chip. Temps are definitely a secondary concern when it comes to what will actually damage your components. The chip will throttle or the software will fail if it gets too hot. No damage beyond possible data corruption.

Too many volts, however, will just burn your hardware.

1.7 would almost certainly destroy the chip. Temps are definitely a secondary concern when it comes to what will actually damage your components. The chip will throttle or the software will fail if it gets too hot. No damage beyond possible data corruption.

Too many volts, however, will just burn your hardware.
^^^^This^^^^

I also agree with Ninjacore 40c seems too low under load for an Intel processor. What are you stress testing it with?

Back