• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sand dan Glokta

Registered
Hey guys, I need help choosing a PSU wattage.
I used this PSU calculator: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
And my recommended wattage is 650. If I get an 850 watt PSU will it be overkill and or damage anything?
Or should I stick with a 750 watt?
I would also probably upgrade some things in the future, GPU,HDD,SSD,etc..
Just wondering if it would be overkill and or harm my components in any way?
Here are my specs for my upcoming build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rcgdBm

Thanks in advanced :)

A quality 650w psu is PLENTY for that system. Hell so is a 500w including overclocking the cpu and gpu. So long as you are sticking with a single card, and overclocking with ambient t cooling, there is no reason to get more than 650w.

I don't see the point in paying the premium for a titanium rated unit unless you are running full loads constantly. You won't make up that price difference versus a gold.

AN overkill psu won't harm anything except your wallet. ;)

A 6700k and GTX 970 even overclocked could run on a 500w Psu, if you want to play it safe get a 650w unit. If you plan on getting a second Gpu in the future then a 750w Psu would be my choice. No you will not burn up your Pc going to a higher wattage Psu, the pc will draw the same amount of power from the Psu whether it's a 500w or a 1600w. A 6700k is 91w chip and the GTX 970 is a 145w at full load so were looking at 236w power draw from those two under load. Even if you have another 100w drawn from the rest of the setup you're still only at 336 w total power draw. Overclock the 6700k and the 970 you're still likely less then 500w total.

Also do you really need a platinum Psu? This would be my choice Evga 650w GQ

Excellent choice and with the G2 you get 10 year warranty also.

I'm very happy with the one I got during boxing day, it's overkill but it cost me the same or less than what I would have paid for a 750 G2 so it was a no brainer.

I would personally check which of their PSU's or even other companies currently have the best discount/rebates and go with that.

A quality 650w psu is PLENTY for that system. Hell so is a 500w including overclocking the cpu and gpu. So long as you are sticking with a single card, and overclocking with ambient t cooling, there is no reason to get more than 650w.

I don't see the point in paying the premium for a titanium rated unit unless you are running full loads constantly. You won't make up that price difference versus a gold.

AN overkill psu won't harm anything except your wallet. ;)

Spot on, I'm running relatively low wattage Antec EarthWatts Platinum in both my media centre and gaming rig. Unless something has changed in recent years, not putting enough load on a PSU decreases its efficiently fairly significantly.

As to whether or not you go with a modular PSU, with my systems I've found I can keep cables far tidier running a non modular PSU, although thats largely down to case choice too. I stuff all unused cables around the back of the mainboard tray. A good case should have cable routing holes in all the right places. Often physically smaller sized PSU's expose additional routing holes that aren't available with a larger/longer PSU.

Last edited:
Back