• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Ripping - Best Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would encode with a higher audio quality as well if I wasnt using such low quality source material :)

How about your everage DVD size? is that a little closer to my file sizes ? I will be doing pretty much the same work as you have just done with DVD and am trying to estimate the space Ill need is all. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I would encode with a higher audio quality as well if I wasnt using such low quality source material :)

How about your everage DVD size? is that a little closer to my file sizes ? I will be doing pretty much the same work as you have just done and am trying to estimate the space Ill need is all. Thanks

Edit: Btw that BR file is gigantic. I had no idea! It appears I will be pushing BR ever further into the future as I have no room for it; gotta wait for average HDD size to grow

Raw BluRay rips are about 40+ GB!

I have been encoding DVDs with the same HandBrake settings as BluRay. Here are some file sizes:

Alvin and the Chipmunks (1:31:14) - 1.384 GB
Avengers (2:22:55) - 1.758 GB
Blade (2:00:13) - 1.466 GB
Captain America (2:04:09) - 1.259 GB
Die Hard (2:12:12) - 1.430 GB
Frozen (1:42:12) - 1.082 GB (did you ever want to KILL a snowman?)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (2:06:51) - 1.837 GB

These all look really good when played.

Throw out a title, and if I have it I'll let you know how big it was!

Right now with 567 titles converted with the HandBrake settings, I am just over 1 TB (mixture of BluRay and DVD).

So, you only need a 3 TB hard drive or so...cheap cheap...just bought a 3 TB Toshiba 7200 RPM for $80!

I think makemkv and Handbrake is a good solution. What do you use to make hardcoded subs show up for foreign language sections of films?

Mvoies.jpg

686 Titles ripped and converted with HandBrake...about 300 to go!

(Yup - I have a lot of movies...but now I have JrClocker-Flix)

Back