• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Ripping - Best Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I think this is the right spot...Home Theater.

I would like to take my large DVD collection, rip it, and store on a server. I have the server picked out, but now have the daunting task of converting A LOT of DVDs to be stored.

My current method of doing this:

- DVD Shrink: RIP the DVD to a temporary location
- Handbrake: Convert the DVD to MP4 file (use the "High Profile" setting...gets decent picture...1.9 GB file for 2 hour movie)

However, this approach is a pain in the but (i.e. takes a lot of time). The DVD ripping takes about 12 to 15 minutes. The handbrake conversion takes about 12 to 15 minutes.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a better way of doing this?
2. Is there better software (I wouldn't mind purchasing one piece of software to take a 2 step process and turn it into a 1 step)
3. Is there a piece of software that can do BluRay? I was disappointed to recently find out my Windows 10 machine cannot read a BluRay movie. It can read the disk just fine, but it can't play the movie. Can't read the movie, can't rip it.
4. Better yet, is there a piece of software that will satisfy (2) and also rip BluRay?

Thanks in advance guys!

MakeMKV to get the DVD/Bluray file, then batch process them through Handbrake is going to be the fastest option. Leave the encoding to last since you can queue them up and let it run overnight.

Great thanks - I'll check out MakeMKV. I'm assuming that it generates a format that is readable by Handbrake?

Also - do you recommend the "High Profile" setting for 1080p viewing?

Thanks!

Great thanks - I'll check out MakeMKV. I'm assuming that it generates a format that is readable by Handbrake?

Also - do you recommend the "High Profile" setting for 1080p viewing?

Thanks!
It generates a MKV file, as the name implies. For Bluray quality movies, set the constant quality to around 23 (less quality) and DVD to 20-22.

:thup:

Good piece of software. On par with DVD Shrink. Just did about 5 DVDs.

Will try BluRay in a bit.

Thanks!

The BluRay rip worked good...encoding with Handbrake now...

It's certainly much slower encoding a BluRay rip! :D

Just stopped in to tell you that Handbrake works ALOT better on a Linux box. If its an option for you, I highly suggest using the linux box

Just stopped in to tell you that Handbrake works ALOT better on a Linux box. If its an option for you, I highly suggest using the linux box

My only option there would be to setup a VM on my main machine.

I have been successfully avoiding the Linux learning curve so far! :D

Define "ALOT" please. Right now I am folding on my PC with 6 of the 12 threads, and the GPU (so 7 threads total) and processing with Handbrake:
--- Handbrake for a regular DVD takes about 12 to 15 minutes.
--- Handbrake for a BluRay is currently estimating at 60 to 65 minutes.
--- I'm using the "High Profile" setting for each

How much is "ALOT"?

Thanks!

Define "ALOT" please.

I ran a batch encode job on my main sig rig (win7) with Handbrake and would only get sound on on the first file. I went up and down through the settings and could find no fix. When I moved to the other machine in my sig (NAS/etc running Ubuntu) the process took a little longer but the files were smaller and the audio problem was fixed.

Overall the user experience was just better. There were more options, they were easier to use, and I suspect that the file compressions was better - but cant confirm that one. The files may have been smaller due to a difference in settings. I hope that helps to answer your question a bit. Just happier with the linux version I guess :)

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been using Handbrake for years now.

I downloaded the newest version last night.

Encoded over 12 DVDs and on my 2nd BluRay...no issues.

MakeMKV works great - thanks again!

Is there a good reason to keep the large raw MKV files?

I'm kind of new to this...but can you stream MKV to a DLNA receiver? I've moved my future NAS target from the WD EK4 to the QNAP TX-453A. If supposed to be able to do "on the fly" encoding to size the video stream based on the recipient. (Also, it has an HDMI output.)

If you can't stream MKV, the only reason I could think of to keep the raw MKV files is if you want to encode it again with Handbrake for some reason. (My goal is to put all of my DVDs in a box in the garage!)

Once you convert it to a format you can use, there is no reason to keep the original. I'd suggest verifying the rip and conversion worked before getting rid of the file, though.

Interesting...I'll have to check out vudu.

I decided I needed a NAS...and the QNAP TX-453A is a NAS and much more. A bit pricey, but worth the few extra $$ I think.

I always do a quick check of the converted file...found out I forgot to include the English track on one! :D

What about Wondershare? Select quality and rate settings, conversion format, chapters, etc., and convert. It also has an addon you can download to remove certain types of copyright locks.

I use MakeMKV for the disc to MKV file conversion, and MCEBuddy (which I licensed years ago when I used media center). It converts the files for me without me having to go and start handbrake.

Thanks for the info all. I'll be doing the same as JR in the not so distant future.

MakeMKV is pretty good:

BluRay: 90%+ success rate
- Some BluRay disks it just can't do...program either fails to make the MKV file, or just out right has "unrecoverable critical error"
- Some BluRay have a copy protection on the audio that MakeMKV does not process properly. I noticed this on The Green Hornet...about 20 mins into watching the ripped version I get an "unrecognized playback device". However, this only happens on my Play Station...PC and Roku are fine

DVD: 95%+ success rate
- Some DVDs it just pukes on with "unrecoverable critical error"

Yes - all of the DVD and BluRay disks are in great shape. In fact, on 2 of the BluRays the disks were still in the original plastic wrap (hadn't watched them yet).

558 titles successfully converted so far...and counting! (My wife is very happy to have "the clutter" gone...disks will sit in a box in my garage (I don't believe in pirating)

If you dont mind my asking, what kind of final file sizes did you end up with for DVD and BR? Did you stick with .mkv or change to .mp4 in Handbrake? I am also curious as to what audio and video formats you used. Ive got my own preferences of course but like to compare results :D

For instance (and it would be great if we could find a movie in common to compare) Ive got a copy of Air Force 1 --Go Harrison Ford Classic!-- that I moved over from VHS. VHS --> Mpeg --> h.264 with mp3 audio @ 192 kbits/s and stereo downmix with a size of 1.69GB encoded from Linux and 2.49GB encoded from Windows. I didnt realize that I had a whole pile of mpeg already converted from in Windows before I did them again in Linux, I may have changed the settings between the two operating systems to account for the size difference in the end file though.

Air Force 1 from BluRay: 6.372 GB

HandBrake 10.2.7286 - 64bit Version

"High Profile" Preset:

HandBrake.jpg

I encode the highest quality audio (usually Dolby 5.1 or 7.1) with the stereo codec and the passthrough codec

Back