• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista home basic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

So here is my problem.

My mother inlaw made a mess of her laptop.

I have the product key but no way to get a copy Vista home basic. It looks like MS has removed all support on their page and my google foo is failing.

Any ideas where to get a copy of this?

*edit... 32bit (X86)

They usually charge $ for that.

Are you sure there is no factory restore on the laptop's hidden partitions?

They usually charge $ for that.

Are you sure there is no factory restore on the laptop's hidden partitions?

I was hoping to try a repair first.
Pulling all the files and pics off will be a labourious task as they never pick one place to store things. There are files everywhere.

Sadly, I think that is where I will have to go. :rain:

Well five terabyte external drives are just over $100 when on sale. Imaging *everything* on the laptop would be relatively easy, with help.

Then nuking the laptop and restoring it to factory settings would follow.

Copying files back will be a laborious task for sure. They are lucky the laptop's mechanical hard drive didn't die as it surely will one day when the task of sifting through the files would be easier, because they wouldn't exist any more :).

If their files are valuable, this is a blessing in disguise, as they will now have a back up!

Well five terabyte external drives are just over $100 when on sale. Imaging *everything* on the laptop would be relatively easy, with help.

Then nuking the laptop and restoring it to factory settings would follow.

Copying files back will be a laborious task for sure. They are lucky the laptop's mechanical hard drive didn't die as it surely will one day when the task of sifting through the files would be easier, because they wouldn't exist any more :).

If their files are valuable, this is a blessing in disguise, as they will now have a back up!

I worry about the drive as well. I may just get them a new laptop and transfer the files that they need.

No updates for VISTA starting in April.
It may also benefit me to lock everything, give them guest access and just remote in if they need something done.

Yes. But FYI starting in mid April of 2017 - not April of this year.

Back