• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RxL

Registered
Heys guys so im on the market for DDR4 memory but i have no idea what i should get (vendor) and im looking for some help preferable that would actually benefit me

my rig is being changed as im helping a mate out im handing him my cpu memory and mainboard at a nice price for him

im going to be getting a rampage v extreme with a 5930k an extra 980ti for SLi and a samsung 950 pro 256 or the 512 (aint decided yet) new power supply for SLi but i have no idea which memory to opt for

any help would be great

budget for memory will be around 200-300 GBP

the rig is for gaming and work (graphics design and so on)

Id grab 4x4GB DDR4 3000 CL15. Brand is really your choice as far as looks and price. For the most part, they all work just fine.

I dont see the point in such an expensive motherboard unless you are benchmarking with LN2 or something...that is what it is made for really. It has options you will never use otherwise. Why pay for that?! You can EASILY use a board that costs HALF that. Don't do it...save money.

A single 980Ti is plenty up to 2560x1440 resolution. Are you higher than that?

hey earthdog im picking this board for the reasons that since ive had intel after amd ive had rog i like the color scheme / aesthetics also i could get a cheaper board but some reason im drawn to this one :)

im going dual 980ti for sure maybe tri SLi and hoping to get 2x or 3x PG348Q ASUS 34″ Ultrawide Monitor if possible for media work as me and the other half do graphics work her more than me..

im using rog swift 27 inch atm

in your opinion what brand would you pick for ddr4?

For the most part RAM is RAM, most here have a recommendation of G.Skill for their consistency and Corsair is all perfectly fine as well.

I'm with E_D on this one, brand isn't usually too important when it comes to ram. I have 4x4 PNY Anarchy 2800 and they run about the same as any other that have Hynix under the Heatsink. There's really only two manufacturers of ram chips. They sell them to the vendor that makes the ram, Some vendors may take a bit more time binning and programming but in the end there isn't a lot of difference. Just make sure you get a quad channel kit around the 3000 Cl15 area as E_D suggested. 16Gb is likely enough unless you know that your software can populate more than that there's no sense in getting more.

On X99 good results are on any memory between 2666 CL15 and 3200 CL16 ( most boards won't work above 3200 ). In this case I would get something between 2666 and 3200 in reasonable price and save some money on 512GB SSD what will give you much more. 256GB isn't much space, especially when this rig will be used for graphics.
G.Skill, Crucial or Kingston would be my choice as I had no issues with their RAM on X99. Other brands are not bad too but some like Geil are not keeping the same quality in each series.
I'm also not sure if spending so much money on motherboard is good idea. There are much cheaper boards which are not much worse. Actually most X99 boards are almost the same. The main difference make additional ports which you probably won't need anyway.

thanks for the advice guys just one last thing im linking the 3 lots of kits ive been looking at im so undecided on which to buy but i think it will for sure be out of these 3 kits

G.Skill TridentZ Series F4-3200C16Q-16GTZB 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4 3200MHz C16 1.35V Memory Kit
G Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-3000C15Q-16GRR 16 GB Memory Module Kit with Heatspreader - Red

Corsair CMD16GX4M4B3000C15 DOMINATOR Platinum CL15 DDR4 Memory Module - 16 GB

I'd get the rip jaw 4. The trident is probably more expensive and it is higher latency. I'm guessing the dominator stuff is crazy expensive which makes it not worth it.

All these kits will be fine so pick the one which costs less or looks better.

Back