• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon Software Crimson Edition's settings ignored by games! (+no mem overclock)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Comrade Stalin

Hi, I'm trying to enable v-sync and/or frame limit trough the crimson interface but the games simply ignore these settings.
For example, if I set frame-limit to 60 on Shadow Warrior Classic Redux the in-game frame counter continue to show around 1000 fps as usual, In Wolfenstein The new order I set v-sync always-on, start the game and v-sync is off. :eh?:

Other examples:
Watch_Dogs: v-sync always-on, ignored
Various GOG games that run trough DosBox: v-sync always-on, ignored
Dying Light: v-sync always-on, ignored, etc...

I know I can enable v-sync from the respective game's menu (except in Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, for some strange reason it slows down badly and stutter when v-sync is on). However, the frame-limiter isn't in the game's menu, and besides, what's the point of putting options that don't do anything?

Are the drivers simply broken or there's something wrong with my PC? :confused:

Another thing: when I first enabled global OverDrive I could set GPU and memory frequencies, now I cannot set memory anymore, the slider is gone (see picture below).

Crimson mem overclock2.jpg

These are my specs:
MB Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz
RAM DIMM DDR3 Crucial 8GB / 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport VLP [1x8GB] CL9 rt
GPU Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD (R9270, 2GB)
PSU Silverstone SX600-G
HDD 1x 3,5 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB
HDD 1x 3,5 Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EAVS 1 TB
SSD 1x 2,5 Toshiba Q Series Pro 128GB

OS Windows 8.1 - version 6.3.9600 build 9600
Catalyst version 15.30.1025.1001-151204a-296876C

Last edited:
There's been know issues with the new Crimson drivers/software. I, for one, have not used it. I'm still using 15.11 catalyst drivers and use MSI's Afterburner to overclock my card.

For your 270 I suggest reverting back to the catalyst drivers and use Afterburner to overclock.

The overclock it's no big deal to me, I added it more as an issue report.

The v-sync thing instead happened even with the 15.11 (and older versions), in fact, I updated hoping that this time would have worked. Did you ever tried to use the catalyst's own v-sync?

No. I use the v-sync implemented in the games I play. I don't use the overclocking features in the Catalyst driver package either. I only install the display driver alone. Dang AMD drivers are mostly bloatware so i only install what I need.

For overclocking I use MSI's Afterburner and GpuZ/HWMonitor to monitor temps. Never any issues with what you're experiencing.

Normally I don't use it too, I wanted to try this new "frame rate target control" function to save some current/heat/noise with those titles whose framerate far exceeds the 60Hz of my monitor, but nope, as usual. So I tough to ask if it's normal that the catalyst/crimson settings have no effect whatsoever on games, but apparently nobody uses them (maybe that's why they don't fix them). However, I remember that in "the old days" (Quake, Far Cry etc...) everything worked.

I had this same issue a few weeks back on a fresh install. When you open radeon settings and click the gaming tab, it will show all your installed games, you are supposed to be able to adjust settings for each game individually, but after doing so and starting the game, it was not working. I also tried using the global settings but same deal.
what I did was to delete all the profiles that were there, and then made new ones manually, then everything worked fine. so if your using the default profiles or global setting you might try making a new profile manually.
hope that helps

I tried but it didn't worked. I deleted, then manually added a couple of games but nothing changed.

So for you radeon settings work? You can force v-sync when in the game options is turned off and enable frame rate limit? What versions of the drivers do you have? Also, what games you tried out?

I tried but it didn't worked. I deleted, then manually added a couple of games but nothing changed.

So for you radeon settings work? You can force v-sync when in the game options is turned off and enable frame rate limit? What versions of the drivers do you have? Also, what games you tried out?

no I haven't tried forcing vsync through control panel, I typically use the games vsync, I usually am only forcing anistropic filtering. this was on a fresh windows install (win7 64bit) with the most recent 15.12 crimson official drivers, and the only games I had installed were fallout 3/new vegas and skyrim. the default profiles did not work at all but manually creating them fixed it.

I don't own any of the games you've mentioned or I'd try it although I did remember having a similar issue a few years back with an older mmo I drop in on once in a while called anarchy online, released 2001, it's dx,7 based only using dx9 for the launcher and ui. I've always forced AA/AF through ccc for this game.

a few years ago I updated drivers and AA/AF was no longer working in that game no matter what I tried, I ended up rolling back and that fixed it, never happened with any other drivers after that. so sounds like it's most likely a driver issue that will be resolved with next version.

I tried the antialiasing but didn't work either. Currently not a single game works, if it's a driver problem I hope that the AMD developers fix it soon.

Last edited:
Back