• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS R9 390X Strix VS PowerColor PCS Radeon R9 390

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

ASUS Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMING 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121974
(sorry in the title i mentioned it is the 390x Asus version where it is the NON X version its just R9 390 Asus strix)

VS

PowerColor Radeon R9 390 PCS+ 8 GB:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/

Hi, so by 2morow i have the option to buy one card vs the other. I know the ASUS R9 390 card heats up more, like idle it stays around 50c and full load around 80c + from the research i did. Where as the Powercolor card it has better cooling where it is around 40c idle and about 60 to 70c full load.

Which would you go for? I am leaning towards the Powercolor gpu since it cools better.

Last edited:
Personally I love the Powercolor card and it's ALOT cheaper given it's just a 390 vs the Asus 390X. The Asus is a beast of a card, but remember you're paying a premium and it's a 390X.

If I had deep pockets and wanted to show off my epeen, then I would grab the Asus. The Powercolor is a better deal money wise, but again it's not a 390X. The Asus is more of a bencher's card so i would go with Powercolor.

Asus 390X - Higher clocks, more money-runs hotter
Powercolor 390 - Lower clocks, less money-runs cooler

Personally I love the Powercolor card and it's ALOT cheaper given it's just a 390 vs the Asus 390X. The Asus is a beast of a card, but remember you're paying a premium and it's a 390X.

If I had deep pockets and wanted to show off my epeen, then I would grab the Asus. The Powercolor is a better deal money wise, but again it's not a 390X. The Asus is more of a bencher's card so i would go with Powercolor.

Asus 390X - Higher clocks, more money-runs hotter
Powercolor 390 - Lower clocks, less money-runs cooler

Hi, thank you for the quick response. I had to edit my post and not sure if you caught it but it isn't the Asus R9 390X it is just the regular Asus R9 390 VS the Powercolor 390. That being said from my research it still indicated that the Asus brand runs hotter to which you also indicated, but has few more core clock speed VS the Powercolor.

Would you still recommend the Powercolor over the regular Asus 390?

Yup. Cheaper ;) Besides I've been eyeing the same Powercolor card :D

I was also thinking of MSI R9 390, and from what i read its a real enthusiast type of card. I think it has bit more clock and mhz speed then the two cards i mentioned but expensive. The PowerColor is still the better priced card, would you still recommend the powercolor GPU over the MSI 390?

I, personally, dislike MSI so I can't recommend them. If I had a choice between those 2, there wouldn't be a choice. I'd snap the Powercolor.

I, personally, dislike MSI so I can't recommend them. If I had a choice between those 2, there wouldn't be a choice. I'd snap the Powercolor.

Hey thanks for the advice, looks like i am 98% sure i am going to get the powercolor GPU due to your recommendation and also from what i read online. The MSI has slightly more core clock and memory clock but i am guessing it shouldn't be that hard to OC the Powercolor GPU a bit to match the MSI R9 390 gpu settings. The MSI card does look better but then again this is going to be inside my computer so won't really have a good view looking at it :), rather save the 45 to almost 50buks price difference between the two and just get the Powercolor GPU. Thanks for the advice.

I concur save yourself the money and get the Powercooler, as you said it shouldn't be an issue for you to Oc the card to or above the specs of any of the retail 390's.

I concur save yourself the money and get the Powercooler, as you said it shouldn't be an issue for you to Oc the card to or above the specs of any of the retail 390's.

HEY... how are you.. so i got the PowerColor r9 390 GPU.. so far i was only able to run BF4 with this card (since i haven't gotten around installing my other games) and so far i am liking it. I been running almost everything on max with BF4, but the only issue i am running is screen tearing.

Unless i turn on Vsync then the screen tearing goes away. Is it maybe cause my LCD monitor is old? It is 1080 60hz monitor, but i got this monitor like 5 years ago i think. Maybe the GPU is just new where as my monitor is old? Thus the screen tearing? Is there any way to avoid this with out having to turn vsync on? Don't get me wrong turning Vsync on makes the game look REALLY good, but i am locking my Frames.

- - - Updated - - -

R9 390.PNG

If your screen is only 60hz then leave vsync on, there is no benifit to above 60fps, you are just stressing out your gpu more, generating more heat and such

Back