• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trick to setting up an Arris SB6190 and AC1750 through Comcast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trivius

I am upgrading my home network and after many hours wasted, am still dead in the water. Comcast customer service was pretty much useless, except for arranging a date for a tech to come out next week (oh so nice), advising only that they do not detect any modem on my end (and noting that I am still able to connect using my outdated Surfboard and that on my new modem the light does go blue for the upload channel, but stays green for the download portion.) I tried to establish a connection both with and without the wireless router, same thing, though while using the wireless router on my old Surfboard I can only connect wirelessly.

I tried to explain that people have been having issues with the new gigabit router, but Comcast came out with a patch a couple of months ago, if that had anything to do with it, but not sure she really "got" it.

Anyone, now what the trick or correct setting to get the modem working and then the wireless router? Do I need to update anything with the IP addresses, router firewall setting, etc?

In brief:

With new modem (with and without wireless router) I cannot establish Internet connection at all;
In Windows I can navigate to the settings for both modem and router, though cannot access Internet at all;
In Windows I attempted to detect connection and setup new connection several times, though never made any progress (and I am not really certain which settings I am even supposed to use to create the connection, e.g., one setting asks for username and password and have no idea to what this is referring to as I did not think that is needed to directly connect to a wired LAN);
My prior modem works fine (that is without routing through the wireless router), and;
While using wireless router on either modem I can only make connection with prior modem wirelessly.

Is the Arris SB6190 supplied by Comcast or did you purchase it yourself? If you purchased it, did the Comcast CS person ask for it's MAC Address ?

I purchased all from Amazon. I asked if she wanted the MAC address, though only wanted me to check all the connections, pin reset the unit, and after a minute said nothing is showing on her end, and scheduled a tech for next week, I asked if we could try a few other things first, like maybe removing the router and just use the modem to see if at least that will connect. She then went on trying to get me to also get phone and cable with them at a cheaper price.

I purchased all from Amazon. I asked if she wanted the MAC address, though only wanted me to check all the connections, pin reset the unit, and after a minute said nothing is showing on her end, and scheduled a tech for next week, I asked if we could try a few other things first, like maybe removing the router and just use the modem to see if at least that will connect. She then went on trying to get me to also get phone and cable with them at a cheaper price.

That's your problem. They (Comcast) need your modem's MAC address to provision their system to send the signal to your modem. Call them back and tell them you have supplied your own modem and want to have it provisioned. They will need the modem's MAC address.

Okay, called again today and got it setup and working through the router, this time she entered the MAC and serial number. However, regarding increasing the channels from the default, the rep said it handled automatically, but later on after logging into my modem on my PC it is only showing 16 download channels and 4 upload, so that does not seem to be correct. Is this something that I need to speak with tier-2 about?

What speed is your service? There's no reason for more than 16 channels if your service isn't better than 600 Mbps (depending on how much bandwidth they're reserving for TV channels - TWC seems to cut half of the available bandwidth, so an 8 channel modem would only do e.g. 170 Mbps, so they require 16 channels for 200 and 300 Mbps packages).

Okay, I checked with them earlier today, they adv 16/4 is the current maximum. So it seems it is all working as it should.

I'm newly registered. I know this is an old thread-I just purchased an Arris SB6190 modem and a Magic Jack Go. I'm replacing my Comcast modem and will be discontinuing the Comcast phone service leaving me with internet only. Dumped the cable TV service 8 yrs ago. I have an iMac running Sierra 10.12.3 and have an AirPort Extreme router.
I'll be porting my current landline number. My question is the what's the best order to do this so the transition is as smooth as possible?
Register the Magic Jack with it connected directly into my iMac, then deal with swapping out my new router with the Comcast router once my home phone number is successfully ported, then lastly plug my Magic Jack into the newly installed router?
Hoping someone will see this soon and give a little appreciated feedback. Because I'm ready to do this. Thanks ahead of time:)

Seriously...thanks for replying. I guess I'll go return it tomorrow and get the 6183. I'm hoping it will be just fine with use like streaming to my 4K TV and work well with overall daily use. I'm still wondering if I should register the "Magic Jack Go" straight to my iMac and start the porting of my home phone number tonight, then connect it to the Arris 6183 once I get it up and running? I want the order of set up to be as painless as possible. Thanks for the heads up on the modem, that's stuff I'm glad to avoid thanks to your feedback.

Back