• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice Nimble #7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Save it for now. You can always post it to the competition later. we have 3 months to play with this time.

I think this will be a bit of fun. Its always been one thing to go for gold, but now we have some friendly compition amongst ourselves. Way to set the bar with that 9590.

My "build" has been happening since last August trust me I am dying to get going lol......

Tomorrow the wife's CPU arrives so at least I will have that to start playing with.......

Well my trials for 3d Mark skydiver were a complete failure tonight. Could not get my system to run a stable overclock on the gpu so I could not get past 20,000 points. Gonna load up a fresh install of Windows and try again over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

50 degrees that is t shirt weather. It is currently 7 degrees here.

TuKr, are you looking for anything specific.

Something that will take some abuse. Ive killed a few sticks. My dom gt is my favorite.
Its 13F here right now. Tempted to set the pc on the patio and keep the peripherals inside.

Looks like you may have more luck this time, go get em guys

I have asked for some clarification for stage 1 as to whether they are looking for 3 processors from different families or just 3 distinct processors. I will update everyone on this when I get a response

So I heard back today and they are just looking for 3 distinct processors so no restriction by family or socket for stage 1.

Looks like you may have more luck this time...

"Luck"!?!? We killed last round for not even trying

RE: stage 2, HwBot
I checked for this competition though and the scoring will not be divided by cores.
Huh? really? Well I assume we need different AMD cpu subs. Hopefully there is some ranking or something per core, otherwise it doesn't make sense?

Cheers

I just had a look at that stage 2 and it doesn't even say there's a core count or socket limitation. Doesn't look like there's any reason 3 people couldn't run and FX 8 core which would give the best average. Did you see anything contrary to that? I know what they did for the CC was you needed a different core count for each sub to the stage but the description was very specific to that. This says nothing but AMD CPU.
EDIT: OK I was wrong I found it on the left. Still I think your best bet is FX 864 core CPUs The APU might be a good substitute for the 4 core FX. You know I read that again and technically the 9590,9370,8370,8350 etc... are all different CPUs. You might want some clarification on that. But judging by the answer to your first question about XTU where they allow 5960,5930 and 5820. The only difference between the 30 and 20 are the amount of PCI lanes. So I think three different 8 core CPUs for AMD would be fine just three different ones.

Last edited:
Stage 1

i7 5930k
G3258
I have other Intel cpus but doubt they'd do better than what I have.

Stage 2

Phenom ii x6 1090T
Also have Athlon ii and Sempron but they are older cpus.

Stage 3
i7 5930k

Stage 4
GTX 980ti

Stage 5
No AMD gpu. May try to purchase one. Maybe a fury? I'm sure that would piss the wife off.

Thinking about setting my bench outside. As long as it's not raining or snowing I should be good correct?

We also usually create a Google hangouts chat. I already have one started with Tukr, Swart, and myself. If anyone else would like to be added just inbox me your gmail address and I'll add you. We've found this can allow for faster responses to questions. When Swart actually answers that is.

Also XTU is designed for the newest processor to win (at least that's how I've always seen it). So anyone with a 1151 i7 is going to beat us out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
OG said:
When Swart actually answers that is.

Ahh, OG! You finally got off the couch and hobbled over to your computer.
You guys faded off into glory in hangouts...
Actually Lochekey and I were chatting at the tail of the last round, so yeah, lets continue that...

Do we have 3 worthy AMD CPUs?

Hasta

Hey OG welcome aboard. To answer your question yes a skylake i7 has the potential to outperform a haswell but it just means we need to be a little better. Don't count out your 5930 though that will still do well for XTU.

Johan, I agree that the different 8 core FX processors would be best. Looking at the other teams submissions I believe we will be ok with that as long as they are distinct processors I.e. an 8350 and a 9590.

I'll modify the first post tonight based on our available hardware. That way people can try and focus there efforts were it is needed.

Back