• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth R2 9590 zalman reserator 3 max issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phxl-sneaky

Hello, having a real strange issue with my mobo and CPU. When I have my zalman max 3 cooling loop installed my system totally shuts down before I can do anything. I've got as far as pressing Del if I'm lucky. Now If I install an old 8350fx stock heatsink to my 9590, I can boot/bios and run windows 10 idle temp stays a steady 55*. Obviously I can't run any program's with just this as a cooler. Any suggestions? It's got me really head scratching and out of ideas. The cooling loop is fully tested and fictional but no matter which headders I use the result I the same. No post.

Theres a big difference between the stock VCore of an FX8350 and stock FX9590 ....... if you are ideling at 55*C with your 8350 a good guess is your temps are too high. That being said I can only guess at your setup maybe you can help by telling us what your system is ..... Motherboard make and model as well as ram and power supply. If you are running with the 8350 maybe open up HWMonitor and CPUZ (CPU, Memory and SPD tabs please, you can open CPUZ multiple time to do this) while running a good stress test like Prime95 with the above programs running for like 20 min and post a screen shot here in your thread. Then we can have a better idea whats going on under the hood.

have you insured your zalman is actually making contact with the cpu ? it sounds like the cpu temp is skyrocketing real fast and shutting it down.

hey thanks for the reply.

my system is:
AMD 9590FX 4.7ghz
ASUS Fury-X
sabertooth 990fx R2.0
vanilla kingston 2x8 GB 1600mhz ram
120GB kingston savage SSD boot drive
1TB vanilla toshiba HDD
1000wt fractal newton3 PSU

sorry what i meant was, i have installed a stock heat-sink from an 8350 onto my 9590, as though a process of elimination, was the only thing i never tried, and and it worked. for some reason it allows full post and boots no dramas to windows with this heat-sink. an 8350 heat-sink is nowhere near good enough to cope with the 220wt TDP underload "apparently" ive just played a full round of BF4 maxed out???? i'm totally baffled by it.

- - - Updated - - -

it looks so, when ive removed it the ECTOTHERM thermal pasted is spread out even. only used grain of rice amount.

- - - Updated - - -

have you insured your zalman is actually making contact with the cpu ? it sounds like the cpu temp is skyrocketing real fast and shutting it down.

it looks so, when ive removed it the ECTOTHERM thermal pasted is spread out even. only used grain of rice amount.

The FX8350 cooler will not really work for you with a stock VCore of around 1.524v I am surprised it even ran. That being said there is an issue with your Zalman cooler either it is deal or not installed properly.

I use a reserater1 v2, GO ZALMAN, but I cheat a little and put frozen water bottles in it!!!!
you're not getting contact between the waterblock and the cpu.

I use a reserater1 v2, GO ZALMAN, but I cheat a little and put frozen water bottles in it!!!!
you're not getting contact between the waterblock and the cpu.

thats what i suspect, that or pump not working, but you'd figure there would be enough time to at least get into bios and see temps rising if he had good contact but no flow.

thanks again for the replies.

never considered a contact issue, nice one.

yeah you would think that the heat-sink would have had no impact. after re-seating everything, trying diff PSU, RAM, switching mod-cables, flashing bios, coms, putting that heat-sink on was the only thing left i hadn't tried, and it was the only thing that worked?!?!?!?! so......

will try seeing it the mount has miss-shaped, as the screws go in firm to there limit.

any other ideas ive not thought of are welcome,
thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

as for the pump, ive plugged it into other headers, (while the 8350 heat-sink was installed), and turned up the RPM, i can hear the pump and fluid flowing.

With a water block you need a good blob of TIM, then when you tighten the screws to it you need to doo it evenly. I go on diagonals. Bottom left then top right etc. If the pressure isn't even then the tim doesn't spread right and you'll only get contact on one side. It takes a bit of time but it'll help alot.

That cooler
zalman max 3
Is no where near enough to cool a FX-9590.

You want to search for a custom water loop. Minimum 120.6 radiator.

Thermal Max is 85c at the core. Board shuts off at Thermtrip.

FX-8350 at 55c is also way hot at idle. Should be a good indicator the cooler is garbage.

Also need to actively cool VRM package are with a fan. No way around it with water cooling.

A good site to look at for a custom loop would be here. https://www.ekwb.com/

It's expensive, but so is the hardware you are trying to cool.

Good luck!

2016-01-19_20-57-58.jpg first pic is idle desktop.
Screenshot (1).png second is running witcher 3 max settings.

some how the stock cooler off a 8350fx is working to keep my 9590fx stable.

i know reinstalled it again to day, decent amount of paste, painstakingly, tiny turning of the mount screws in diagonals until stopping point. still refuses to post. the rad fan is working, the pump is pumping and the nano-fluid is flowing. still full shut down before reaching bios???

really cant get my head round how or why. check this screen shot me running BF4 with only the 8350 heat-sink. Screenshot (2).png yeah the temp is 65*C thats with turbo core enabled!!!

I did and I'm glad it's working, it will probably prove not enough cooling for the 9590 though, 65c is definitely hot. When you pull the zalman off is there a good spread across the IHS? It sounds like it isn't making proper contact with the cpu.

I agree that Zalman should do as well or better than the 8350 cooler. Did the copper block have a plastic film on it and did you remove it ?

thanks for the help,tips and links, appreciated. new loop is looking like my only option, and as to why it's causing my rig to fail will just have to be a mystery. have to push my luck with this 8350 heat-sink for now.

Peace-Out!

Hah, as funny as it may seem to me.....

That stock cooler is keeping a FX-9590 a good 700mhz under it's stock clocks and if we where to include the turbo of 5ghz on 4 cores that's 1000mhz below FX-9590 stock turbo frequency.

You would still be under the average overclock with a 120.2 radiator generally seen between 4.4ghz and 4.6ghz.

You definitely have some work cut out for you!

:facepalm:

I should add, that FX-9590 is throttling from the Cpu temp.

Only know all this cause I tried air cooling the SOB the exact same way you are....

Back