• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forced Updates on Steam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess what I was asking is maybe they had to remove the update option because the need to balance the games when they update?

I guess what I was asking is maybe they had to remove the update option because the need to balance the games when they update?

The short answer is simply no.

That's not how it works. I've been playing MP games for many years, if your on an older version, your incompatible with newer versions and can only play with other players on older versions. This has been in many instances an escape for players who didn't like the direction the game was taking, and would prefer to stick with the version they have, just don't update and continue enjoying the title with others who don't want to update. This was seen especially in Rome 1 when some of the patches would introduce bugs or game warping changes that would later be reversed, the community would largely just avoid said patch. Or for many other reasons, like the patch breaks their mods, etc.

that's how it has always worked in multiplayer titles such as counter strike, or the multiplayer component of any game I've ever played. Forced Updates is something that has been pioneered by Steam and has Literally no upside for the consumer.

At the end of the day you have to consider this. You payed for a piece of software, now they are going to change it in some way or another without your consent, and if you happen not to agree, there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Last edited:

That's not how it works. I've been playing MP games for many years, if your on an older version, your incompatible with newer versions and can only play with other players on older versions. This has been in many instances an escape for players who didn't like the direction the game was taking, and would prefer to stick with the version they have, just don't update and continue enjoying the title with others who don't want to update. This was seen especially in Rome 1 when some of the patches would introduce bugs or game warping changes that would later be reversed, the community would largely just avoid said patch. Or for many other reasons, like the patch breaks their mods, etc.

that's how it has always worked in multiplayer titles such as counter strike, or the multiplayer component of any game I've ever played. Forced Updates is something that has been pioneered by Steam and has Literally no upside for the consumer.

So what your saying they should have 20+ different versions of a game for people to play the games in, as much as they update games?

At the end of the day you have to consider this. You payed for a piece of software, now they are going to change it in some way or another without your consent, and if you happen not to agree, there isn't a thing you can do about it.

'Literally no upside for the consumer' is a huge misnomer. I laid out several reasons why it isn't a bad idea in my second post in this thread.

Like I said, there is a relatively niche market for those that don't want to play the latest version of a released game. For the other 99% that do want their games updated automatically and silently in the background the system is incredibly helpful and appreciated compared to how it used to be.

'Literally no upside for the consumer' is a huge misnomer. I laid out several reasons why it isn't a bad idea in my second post in this thread.

Like I said, there is a relatively niche market for those that don't want to play the latest version of a released game. For the other 99% that do want their games updated automatically and silently in the background the system is incredibly helpful and appreciated compared to how it used to be.

Your describing the positive side to "automatic" updates while I'm talking about forced updates. When I want to use the software as is, as was purchased, and the software says no sorry, we can't let you do that, you'll need accept these changes first.

Also you mentioned a niche market, I'd like to think that once I've bought the software, I'm no longer in the market and should not have to deal with the developers future decisions if I so much as "don't feel like it"

Last edited:
I use to like it back in circa 2002 when the programmers made the game on disc there were no updates, if there was it was only called a patch, you did not need a new tire.

That's great for you, but there are many games these days that if you can even find the physical pc copy it is literally nothing more than a license key and a link to or a cd with the steam installer on it.

You can get a lot on games on the dev's site too witch don't need steam.

You can get a lot on games on the dev's site too witch don't need steam.

This is often true, but it's on a per developer basis, and sometimes their DRM is worse in ways. The best approach in my opinion is for we the consumer to hold the house to a certain standard. Consumer outrage has averted many a train wreck.

That's great for you, but there are many games these days that if you can even find the physical pc copy it is literally nothing more than a license key and a link to or a cd with the steam installer on it.

No kidding. I still wonder why Rockstar bothered to include 7 DVD's for the GTA V boxed set when all it did was immediately start a 65 GiB download.

- - - Updated - - -

I had some fun mods for Half Life 2 that are now permanently broken thanks to steam updates.

There's nothing more annoying to me then getting home from work, grabbing a beer and trying to play a steam game and then discovering it has a multi-gigabyte "update" to be applied that you can't cancel or even delay until later. Who the hell controls my computer anyway? I didn't buy a game so that Big Brother steam could tell me when I'm allowed to play it.

Throttle the download speed or tick the box that says stop downloads while playing ?

I don't think it's a bandwidth/lag issue while playing another game that people are concerned with here (at least nobody mentioned that). It's the fact that they FORCE the update and are UNABLE to play the game until it's done. So throttling would actually be counter intuitive, no?

PS - God bless 75Mbps download speeds here.

I meant play something else while you download/patch. Don't know any game that allows itself to played and patched at the same time, even WoW stops everything in the background when it's launched.

Every online game requires everyone in the same version, so forced updates are expected ?

Iirc, steam stops downloads while you are playing another steam game by default? At least that's what I remember that mine does...but I could be crazy there. I just played an origin game when waiting for a Dirt:Rally update, lol!

Yeah, online games it makes sense... games with no online element, not so much.

It's what I said in my 1st post, Steam has an option to continue download while you play, it's in the Download section ?

It's what I said in my 1st post, Steam has an option to continue download while you play, it's in the Download section ?

That's not the point that magellan was making. He is complaining that games that are even offline in nature (no online features) requires updating via Steam before it is playable, which can cause issues with mods or breaks features of games.

PS - God bless 75Mbps download speeds here.

Imagine the fun when a game has a large update on a 1.2 Mbps connection, that's tho only real issue I've had. I was annoyed with some mods in Skyrim for a while since they had to be updated ever time the updated the game but it wasn't earth shattering and I find that easier than keeping track of all the updates for all my games.

No kidding. I still wonder why Rockstar bothered to include 7 DVD's for the GTA V boxed set when all it did was immediately start a 65 GiB download.

- - - Updated - - -

I had some fun mods for Half Life 2 that are now permanently broken thanks to steam updates.

There's nothing more annoying to me then getting home from work, grabbing a beer and trying to play a steam game and then discovering it has a multi-gigabyte "update" to be applied that you can't cancel or even delay until later. Who the hell controls my computer anyway? I didn't buy a game so that Big Brother steam could tell me when I'm allowed to play it.

Remember back before Steam when UT99 and UT2k4 and Half-Life and Starcraft mods never broke because server owners never applied patches to ensure security and clients also never had to apply patches because the servers didn't? :bang head Yeah, all that must've been Big Brother Steam's fault, even though it didn't exist. And it applied to single player just as much as multi-player, so don't pull that excuse, either. Mod developers never liked supporting multiple versions of the game anymore than the actual game developers did.

Yup... found it. You can do a global setting, and per game. I assume its set like that default.

That's not the point that magellan was making. He is complaining that games that are even offline in nature (no online features) requires updating via Steam before it is playable, which can cause issues with mods or breaks features of games.

Yes but its not new or limited to steam, that was why i didn't see an issue :p I assume its the same as Blizzard's Starcraft 2, you have to be online to play or you don't get achievements for the offline portion. Guess im just so used to it by now i stopped making a fuss :(

- - - Updated - - -

Yup... found it. You can do a global setting, and per game. I assume its set like that default.

On by default yes :)

- - - Updated - - -

Remember back before Steam when UT99 and UT2k4 and Half-Life and Starcraft mods never broke because server owners never applied patches to ensure security and clients also never had to apply patches because the servers didn't? :bang head Yeah, all that must've been Big Brother Steam's fault, even though it didn't exist. And it applied to single player just as much as multi-player, so don't pull that excuse, either. Mod developers never liked supporting multiple versions of the game anymore than the actual game developers did.

Was i the only one that patched games as soon as something came out ? i played UT as often as work allowed and was always up to date, but i remember matches being made according to the patch you were using at the time, same as Mechwarrior 4.

WTH are u ranting about?

When I was big into LAN parties we all standardized on a certain, patched version of UT because no one wanted to be dl'ing a bunch of patches during a LAN party and we played
w/a set of mods, we commonly had all the patches loaded on the dedicated server so anyone w/a non-compliant version could apply them. But how would that work out in the steam world? It woudn't, because the mods you have working today, might not work tomorrow when steam chooses to update your game -- which is exactly what happened to my HL2 mods. The HL2 mods I had were the only worthwhile reason to play HL2 at all. How do figure modders are going to endlessly update their mods for free when forced game updates break them?

Back