• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS/PC Doesn't see the cd/dvd-rom drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So, I'm working on a friends pc and after going to use the cd/dvd-rom drive there was nothing there. I checked BIOS, nothing. Both the ssd and hdd are sata 2 and the cd/dvd-rom drive is pata. The cd/dvd-drive opens and closes, but that's it. What to do next?

Try a different Pata cable or port on the motherboard if there is one? The drive opening and closing only has to do with the fact that it has power.

Worst case go spend $20 for a DVD drive from the past decade

Ok, I fixed that.. The pata cable wasn't all the way plugged in. But now there is another problem. It won't read discs. Just sits there for a bit then spits em out.

Assuming you have an extra sata port spend the $14 on newegg and buy a new dvd burner. Cheaprst way to fix the issue.

Its one of those surprised it lasted this long.

If a new cable laying around didn't fix it, there is jumpers on the back side but you'd have to look up the possible configurations for it.
Realistically swing for a new SATA DVD Player/Burner for $20 and under. Get rid of that ATA cable clutter.

Back