• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet switches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GilbertC06

Trying to get the best connection I can on my Playstation 4. I have my PC and PS4 in the same room and want them both to have wired connections. I don't have much experience in internet switches so I don't know if something like a Netgear FS605 5-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Swtich will do the job. Anyone have experience with these or switches in general?

Yes, that is what you need, but I wouldn't buy that particular one. I paid less for my 8 port gigabit switch. That is only 100 so it would probably bottleneck your network connection speed.

Edit: this is what I got. It's on sale today too.

^ Agree

You want to get a gigabit Ethernet switch.

Do you currently have a router connected to your internet drop? Almost all of the wireless routers have at least a 4 port switch on them. If the wireless router was bought in the last few years, the switch will probably be gigabit Ethernet speeds.

Here is another option from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K4DS5KU...olid=2156OCI5DH9UR&coliid=ISN4X6SVIQMLT&psc=1

$18.39...brand spanking new.

This is an unmanaged switch...which will be fine if you are only going to have your PS4 and PC plugged in.

Check your router that you have connected to your internet drop and see if it has a switch already! :thup:

Important point Jr brings up. You need to have a router to use an unmanaged switch. If you have one of those old modems that only has 1 port coming out if it then you won't be able to hook that up to an unmanaged switch. If it has more than 1 (typically 4) then it is a router modem combo and you should be fine.

If it only has 1 port coming out if it then I would buy a nice wireless router and you can use that will solve your issue.

If it has more than one port on the back then I think switching is built in. A switch just enables multiple computers to share on internet feed and most modern routers do that. Routing and switching are different things. Routers also provide firewall security.

for one of my interweb connections I just use an unmanaged switch that 2 computers hook to and that switch plugs into the Comcast router thing and it works just fine and there is no setup to it at all.

Back