• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Gamefreeze/Soundloop with 32GB RAM only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lawrence1977

Hi there,

as a user of the MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Mainboard i am having problems with stability for nearly four months now.

First of all let me show you my Rig:

ASUS STRIX GTX 980Ti
Sound Blaster ZxR
i7-5930k (not overclocked!)
MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Mainboard
ASUS BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray Burner
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666 32GB Kit F4-2666C15Q-32GRR
Intel SSD 750 400GB (PCIe)
Seagate SSHD 4TB
Corsair HXi 850W Power Supply

newest drivers and BIOS

First of all the system runs stable when running with 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (16GB Kit, but only with 2666Mhz, 3000MHz refuses to boot - overclocking failed).

Then i switched to a 2666MHz 32GB kit as shown above.
The system is 24h memtest x86-stable, runs flawless when working on the desktop.

When playing games the system freezes with a soundloop 2-times a week. Only the reset button helps here.
The strange thing is: This only happens when i am using 32GB RAM, while using 16GB the problem no longer exists.
I also tried a different RAM-Kit from corsair with 32GB and 2666MHz. The same problem, games just freeze from time to time.

I also tried different System Agents Voltages, as well as differnt DRAM Voltages from 1.20 to 1.30V with no effect after all.

Has anybody an idea?

Thanks in advance....

Changing the memory timings could have corrupted the game or OS install? The only time I've ever corrupted an OS while overclocking was with mem OC. Since you've been swapping kits and had a few instances where your system didn't like the XMP speeds, something similar could have happened?

Why are you using an extra sound blaster card when the board has good built in sound? Try removing the SB card and see if things get better (or disable the onboard sound in the bios).

For the memory, I have a X99S Gaming 7...when I enable XMP for DDR-3000, it sets the BCLK to 125 MHz and the board won't post. If I drop to the next lowest setting for the BCLK PLL (124.6 MHz I think), it works just great. I keep my board at 2666 at 100 MHz and lowered the timings.

I would check:
1. 32GB @2133 stock voltages
2. 32GB @2666 1.2V memory, 1.1V VCCSA and +0.1V VCCIO ( I don't remember what was stock )

If 1st setting won't cause any issues then memory is fine and mobo is also fine so it needs good enough settings for higher clocks.

Btw. you should have profiles for each memory IC in BIOS ( called Try It or something ). You can try these profiles but you have to know what memory chips are in your memory. To check it download Thaiphoon Burner ( read SPD ) or AIDA64 ( SPD window ) and in most cases both programs can tell you what memory chips you have in your memory kit. In case of G.Skill you can also take a look at the serial number. if it's xxxxx400xxx... then it's Hynix. If it's xxxxx500xxx... then it's Samsung. I don't think it will be anything else.

Okay - Right now i am through...

I tried everything - even with default settings on Auto - everything at Stock Speed 2133MhZ i am getting the game freezes when using 32GB RAM.

Well there is just one option for me... i have another mainboard here - the ASUS Rampage V extreme which in August 2015 refused to boot (cold boot bug) maybe it will work with the newest BIOS and 32GB... last option for me....

If this won't work i think i am going to get one of the new 1151 Socket boards with skylake...

Spend nearly 6000 bugs in order to get a running system then....

Back