• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Golden Edition 980GTX Ti & Afterburner Help & Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

test gpu.JPG I just got the computer built. I have afterburner tweaked a bit and wanted some advice. I can't seem to get anything above +150 on the core clock. I can get +400 on memory and it stable. I have +50 (not +87 like in the picture) for mV. 109% power limit. What settings can I tweak? My core clock jumps around a lot in afterburner. nVidia control panel lists it as maxed out at 1190 LOL, it came with 1200+ factory.

Anyways just figured I would see if everything looked good or what else I could do to maybe get it cooler, or slightly more overclock.

Thanks!

EDIT: Photo added that showed cards actual values.

Last edited:
You should print screen images instead of taking pics of the monitor. :)

It may be throttling and hitting the power limit. Confirm by looking at the graph and seeing the power use... you hitting 109 or higher? These cards all crap out on the core somewhere between 1450-1550 mhz on the core...

You should print screen images instead of taking pics of the monitor. :)

It may be throttling and hitting the power limit. Confirm by looking at the graph and seeing the power use... you hitting 109 or higher? These cards all crap out on the core somewhere between 1450-1550 mhz on the core...

Oops sorry. Lol. My card seems to bounce between 1215-1250 even when I add to the +core clock. When I moved the power % from 100 to 109 the core clock jumped from 1215 to 1375. I am not sure if I got higher. I see it around 102-105 in the %.

Can you show a screenshot of the graph which shows core clocks please? That card should be boosting, actual boost mind you, to well over the clocks you listed.

Can you show a screenshot of the graph which shows core clocks please? That card should be boosting, actual boost mind you, to well over the clocks you listed.

I fixed post #1 to show a better photo. Also I have 2 x 980GTX Ti SLI. I got 55 fps @ 4k 60hz with rainbow siege. I took out the second card for a test, and got 60fps. So the second card in SLI or Dedicated PhysX isn't helping much. I find that weird don't you?

Last edited:
I fixed post #1 to show a better photo. Also I have 2 x 980GTX SLI. I got 55 fps @ 4k 60hz with rainbow siege. I took out the second card for a test, and got 60fps. So the second card in SLI or Dedicated PhysX isn't helping much. I find that weird don't you?

Your post title says "980GTX Ti", your screen shot shows "GTX 980 Ti", but here you say 2 980 GTX. You can't SLI a 980 Ti and a 980.

If you mean 2 980 Ti, you have to make sure that you have SLI enabled in the NVIDIA control panel. Also, check to make sure you are not limiting the FPS to 60 in the game.

Use the Heaven benchmark...it will push your cards harder than most games and is consistent from test to test versus trying to get an accurate benchmark in game.

Your post title says "980GTX Ti", your screen shot shows "GTX 980 Ti", but here you say 2 980 GTX. You can't SLI a 980 Ti and a 980.

If you mean 2 980 Ti, you have to make sure that you have SLI enabled in the NVIDIA control panel. Also, check to make sure you are not limiting the FPS to 60 in the game.

Use the Heaven benchmark...it will push your cards harder than most games and is consistent from test to test versus trying to get an accurate benchmark in game.

I meant to say GTX Ti SLI. In 3dmark firestrike I got 17,605 for single GPU, with SLI enabled I got 23, 105. However in the game it seems to not make much of a difference.

Check the game settings and see if Vsync is enabled (this will cap the frame rate to your monitor refresh rate)

Also, if you run the Heaven benchmark (Vsync is disabled by default) it will run full bore.

I just did another test. I ran the witcher 3 with everything maxed out. 4k ultra hd. I get around 45-48 fps. Pretty smooth. Hariworks off, but everything else maxed out. When I add the second card for SLI I get about the same 45fps. Even if V sync is off and the fps is unlimited (instead of 60fps/30fps). I have tried SLI, and dedicating my second card to PhysX.

Here is the crazy part. If I take off Anti Aliasing, Hariworks, and HBAO+ occlusion acceleration I get 60fps solid. If I turn on just one of them I get 45fps. Crazy part is that If I turn on all 3, I still get 45fps. Something is weird here. How can one of those settings dip me from 60fps, only one. However all 3 enabled still stays at 45fps?

EDIT: I have tried setting to unlimited fps. With SLI I am getting 75 fps with hairworks and AA off. With SLI disabled I am getting 45-48fps. With 60fps limit, and vsync on. SLI I am getting 60fps with hairworks and AA off. I sometimes dip to 48-50fps when there is a lot going on. typically I sit in the 52-55 fps range. Top card 75 degrees, bottom card 69 degrees. Both sit about 80% usage and 3 GB memory used.

Last edited:
Would it be worth me taking the cooler off and replacing the thermal compound with Tuniq TX-4? I have heard people doing this with the AMD R9 380/390 cards. Just wondering.

Back