• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 290x Matrix and Matrix OC Tool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hotrod717

Just secured a BNIB 290x Matrix and have had a BN Matrix OC tool for a few weeks. Now that I've finally secured a card with the capability of utilizing the tool, i thought I'd create a thread in preparation of awesome, if the card cooperates.
Most retail cards did not come with the connector for the OC tool, and unless I've lucked out in some way, will need to solder a 16 pin connector onto the card. Fortunately the Matrix OC Tool comes with two channels and two connectors. Worst case, I'll need to de-solder one of the connectors off of the OC tool and re-solder onto the card. Should be receiving the card within the next 5-7 days. If you find this of interest, stay tuned, more to come.
Did I mention I'll be overclocking the snot out of this? First, some air testing, followed by water/chilled water, and then on to the mad mother- LN2! Sit down , buckle up, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the ride.....

Thanks guys. Hopefully the card is as advertised, new, and a decent overclocker. I paid a premium. The lengths we go to satisfy our labido. Lol.
I am looking for the right connector so I don't have to molest the overclock tool. I do have a proper desoldering iron. The card does have the solder points, just not the connector for retail, so no exotic soldering required. Pretty basic.
Going to be interesting to see what the extended capabilities of the oc tool are compared to just unlocking by soldering the ln2 and memory defroster pads on card.

Instead of pulling the connector off the Matrix tool see if you can find one on Digikey, it may make your life easier.

Instead of pulling the connector off the Matrix tool see if you can find one on Digikey, it may make your life easier.

Thanks for that. I found it. - http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/S16B-PHDSS(LF)(SN)/455-1778-ND/926684
S16B-PHDSS.jpg

Have 10 of these coming. I'd like to mention that the following Matrix cards have the pin out to receive this connector and ability to utilize Matrix OC Tool - 780ti, 290x, 980, and 980ti.
I'm very interested to see if the tool unlocks any more funtionality in the card. The tool itself has several features, just upon visual inspection.

20160122_215444.jpg

- 2 Ports for Overclocking 2 Cards
V
- Card Select Switch
-"OV Enable" Switch
V
On The left you have red "+" or "-" buttons for adjusting values of the "Voltage Select" Button to the right
The selections listed with corresponding LCD's -
*GPU/VDDC
*Mem/MVVD
*PLL/VDDCI
*3v3.Other
V
Below these we have a few LCDs for "Memory Heater Status"
To the right looks like some more solder points and am wondering if they are corresponding points on card for additional monitoring functionality.
V
A red "Save" Button and black "Reset" Button
V
Next 4 character LED's to read voltages
V
Last, at the bottom 10 solder/read points for each card.
*GPU
*MEM
*PLL
*Other
*GND

Last edited:
Can't see anything without an account...

Unfortunately I don't have time to triple post across three forums and having had a private party from that site help sponsor my testing,two custom ek waterblocks and a second oc tool, feel obligated to make that my first priority. I'm posting high res, large photos which can be enlarged over there. I'll do what I can to post here, but realize how much extra work that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, received the card today and while it does appear to have been fit up, a scratch on lower back plate, seems otherwise unmolested. No ROG Badge and sans GPU Tweak Cd. As close to bnib as could be expected at this point I suppose. And while expected, can't help wonder how the Elpida memory is going to hold up. If anyone has the proper GPU Tweak, I would like to use period correct version. Please send it my way.
290x Matrix Asic.png
GPUZ - First impressions from previous experience - 74-78% asic is what you want for air or watercooling with the 290x. A previous reference card did 1250 on water with a comparable asic % to 72.6. We'll find out how reliable that is. I haven't found that "great" card on LN2 with 290x cards, so I'll reserve any judgement.
Initially, I'll be testing on Catalyst 14.4.

Okay some GPU Tweak fundamentals that is probably old hack to most, but, you never know.
Built into GPU Tweak is an enhancement funtion that will raise clock max values. It does not raise voltage.
Enhancement setting.png
enhancement shown.png

- - - Updated - - -

Did a little air testing just to feel out the card. I am always careful on air as to not over stress the card. Ultimately more concerned about water and cold testing. On air I usually cut testing at about 70-75*, which in this case left me at 1140 core and 1.29v with 150%PT, testing with Firestrike. My basement gets fairly hot and did this at ambient. I'll throw some chilled air in and retest before making any comparisons.
After a few runs on chilled air (10,000 btu a/c ducted in front of case) I did manage to pull a little more out of this card, but not much. 1175 core @ 1.35v. Not very inspiring, but I did notice it was fine until it 60*. Hoping water really lets this shine a little better. We will take a look under the hood tomorrow. It may be that the cooler isn't seated properly. Noticing the scratch from the previous owners fit up, that could have broken the seal on the tim.

- - - Updated - - -

I received the connectors today and checked for proper fit. Also wanted to take a look at the tim.

sorry the rest of the photos are too large too post, getting an error. I'll change settings and retake photos tomorrow when the water blocks arrive.

I consider anything over 1250 decent regardless of voltage. I've owned quite a few 290x cards and this is definately better than any reference card I've owned. Unfortunately I was spoiled by 3 good Lightning cards, but have to say this is close to par with the best, aside from voltage and ram so far. LN2 will be the deciding factor. An efficient 1366 run being the mark. Elpida ram seems the bane of the card, as average Samsung will clock to 1650 fairly easy.
3d11 - 290x Martrix - 1300-1450.png
Just don't think this card has a lot more to give. I'll try to tweak it some, but getting close on water. Can't help but feel LLC control would help. Also - Any way to force constant voltage? 2d is disabled, but removing the flux of voltage would help squeeze out some more performance.
I have some more tweaking on OS and cpu/ram oc too.
Sorry guys, keep getting 2mb limit on photos.

Nice Rod, I haven't touched an AMD card other then my 5850 so I really don't know what's good bad or indifferent. It's a shame it has Elpida ram though, I know the Elpida I have on my 780 Lightning doesn't Oc worth a damn.

Nice Rod, I haven't touched an AMD card other then my 5850 so I really don't know what's good bad or indifferent. It's a shame it has Elpida ram though, I know the Elpida I have on my 780 Lightning doesn't Oc worth a damn.

This Matrix is as good as the 3 290x Lightnings I have had after approximately a dozen bench runs. I'm fairly quick at sizing a gpu. May have a bit more in terms of scoring or points. I am apprehensive about giving the elpida volts after some stories of death. It does seem that the elpida runs tighter as the scores in comparison to the 290XL's with Samsung are close to the same. The real test will be LN2. Unfortunately couldn't get more than 1366 efficient cor clock on my other 290x gpu's. This card is still very new to me and has a few more adjustments i can tweak in GPU Tweak and Matrix OC tool compared to Afterburner. Generally on water this is about as good as it gets with a 290x. Exceptional would be 1320 core. Samsung ram has been known to do 1750 or so on these cards, to the Elpida which tops at about 1500-1550 in most cases. On LN2, 1500-1600 is the best I've seen core clock for a 290x.

I haven't run 3D Mark 11 yet with my setup...which is identical to yours. I'm anxious to see how it stacks up. What kind of clocks were you able to get on water with yours in that bench? 1300ish?

Just ran it...it was on sale on Steam. Turned tess off in the Radeon settings (I'm assuming that's what tess tweak is?). I'll run the full test when my PSU arrives, but....for now just enough to get the GS.

I'm pretty happy with this card....

rJS0zFT.png

Last edited:
I haven't run 3D Mark 11 yet with my setup...which is identical to yours. I'm anxious to see how it stacks up. What kind of clocks were you able to get on water with yours in that bench? 1300ish?

Just ran it...it was on sale on Steam. Turned tess off in the Radeon settings (I'm assuming that's what tess tweak is?). I'll run the full test when my PSU arrives, but....for now just enough to get the GS.

I'm pretty happy with this card....

rJS0zFT.png

Yep, around 1300 on water without tweaking pll or .95v rail on 3dmark. Again biffed ram, so no joy. Should have situation rectified soon. Either skylake and heaven or another mobo for x99 and 3dmark. Wouldn't say our setups are identical though.

Yep, around 1300 on water without tweaking pll or .95v rail on 3dmark. Again biffed ram, so no joy. Should have situation rectified soon. Either skylake and heaven or another mobo for x99 and 3dmark. Wouldn't say our setups are identical though.

5820k and a 290X....you're obviously doing some serious cooling on your CPU to get those clocks out of it, but....same CPU / GPU. /shrug

Ni-i-i-i-ce! That add-on board looks awesome! Look forward to seeing you tear things up a bit over there!

What kind of results are you seeing? Haven't seen any movement on this thread in a while, was just curious if you got it up and running with the add on boards and LN2.

Back