• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 RAM guide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Been playing with ln2 on the cpu for a little bit and am ready for the next step including taking ram cold. Anyone know of a good guide that covers all the basics including insulating, other cold prep, testing while cold, etc, etc? Want to give it a try with my z97 oc formula and a couple sticks of nice pis. On air, have had the pis all dialed in at 2666 8-12-8...I've seen people running similar psc cold at 2666 6-10-6 so figure that's what I should be aiming for? Just need to figure out the best/quickest/easiest way to get to the target timings. All the cold ram pics I've seen show massive frost buildup around the ram slots out to the power connector so don't want to spend too much time dialing in the sticks.

Do I need to put a little vaseline in each of the ram slots? From pics, I see people wrap shamwow/shoptowels around the actual power connector.

Anyhoo...don't want to mess anything up so any guidance, links to guides, tips, etc would be very much appreciated.

tia as always!

That's all new to me F_S, I would think vaseline or dielectric grease in the slots would be a must. Typically frost isn't the problem it's water so while it stays cold it should be OK but I'd have all the power off and battery out when it starts to thaw, I've had similar thoughts myself just haven't given it a go yet. Do you have a pot?

Hoping someone who does this stuff will chime in. Yep...2 new-to-me pots arrived earlier this week.

Update: Found this guide but would love to hear from someone who's actually taken their ram cold.

Update: This and this video from Dinos22 are pretty excellent.

Last edited:
Back