• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mechanical switches.. Which brand is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah its tedious but worth it ... will protect your switches and make them quieter and since the cherry reds are about the most sensitive of the line they are really really noisy ... I still learning to soften my touch ... lol

Yeah I'm gonna need to quiet my blues down some for when it's late and I'm hammering at the keyboard as the man cave is on the same floor as the kids rooms........

I just recently switched to a Mechanical Keyboard which uses Kailh Red Switches, I like them, People say they are mushy but I haven't really noticed, I did switch from a laptop styled membrane keyboard however.
YMMV.

Last edited:
I just recently switched to a Mechanical Keyboard which uses Kailh Red Switches, I like them, People say they are mushy but I haven't really noticed, I did switch from a laptop styled membrane keyboard however.
YMMV.

You like the kailhs too? Guess it's different for everyone. I read that a lot or people don't like the kailhs since they are cheap chinese copies...

Anyways I have the keyboards narrowed down to 8 I believe, I'll link them when I'm not mobile :)

You like the kailhs too? Guess it's different for everyone. I read that a lot or people don't like the kailhs since they are cheap chinese copies...

Anyways I have the keyboards narrowed down to 8 I believe, I'll link them when I'm not mobile :)

I haven't seen anyone mention the Code keyboards yet. I purchased one for work with Brown Cherry keys and I am oh-so-very happy with it. The next nice keyboard I get will probably use either green or blue Cherries, since I tend sometimes to bang away at the keyboard when I get going.

Also, FWIW, I use a Unicomp buckling-spring keyboard at home, and I am thoroughly unapologetic about the clacking sounds I make when I use it. From my experience (and I have used many different keyboards), heavy mechanical keyboards are the best kinds to get. Beyond that, the switches are something each person needs to explore and decide upon. I am a fan of hard-to-press, clicky switches (even though the browns don't resist my hammering much at all), which is why I use buckling-spring at home.

I used my friend's WASD code 104 (or something like that?) with greens for a few days. A little too stiff for me, so I stuck with the browns. I don't think the WASDs are all that expensive, though he's had issues with wear on his keycaps, so not sure I'd wholeheartedly recommend them :shrug:

I haven't seen anyone mention the Code keyboards yet. I purchased one for work with Brown Cherry keys and I am oh-so-very happy with it. The next nice keyboard I get will probably use either green or blue Cherries, since I tend sometimes to bang away at the keyboard when I get going.

Also, FWIW, I use a Unicomp buckling-spring keyboard at home, and I am thoroughly unapologetic about the clacking sounds I make when I use it. From my experience (and I have used many different keyboards), heavy mechanical keyboards are the best kinds to get. Beyond that, the switches are something each person needs to explore and decide upon. I am a fan of hard-to-press, clicky switches (even though the browns don't resist my hammering much at all), which is why I use buckling-spring at home.

I mixed up the name on that one when I mentioned it. My friend has a Code with the green switches and pre-installed orings. It seems pretty decent, but as I mentioned, his keycaps are wearing off after less than a year.

I have my eyes on the CODE 104Key Cherry MX Green, but the issue is price.

175USD + 24.45 shipping is $199.45 USD or $278 CAD. There's just no way I'm paying nearly $300 for a keyboard. Not even if it made me breakfast!

I want to try and keep it below $150 CAD tops, which right now is $~107 USD.
That's basically limiting me to Royal Kludge only....

Here's what I'm looking for in a keyboard (now that I know what I want):
LEDs: White, Green or RGB.
Switch: Green or Blue switches. (I've dropped the MX Clear switch from my list, just too rough feeling.)
Black caseing
At least an 80% size.

And here's my list of keyboards so far: (Leaning towards the Keycool HERO)
Keycool 87 White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Kailh)
KBParadise V80 TKL Green / Red LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Green Cherry MX)
Keycool 104 Hero Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Kailh)
Royal Kludge RG-928 Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Kailh)
Vortex ONE White LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Green Cherry MX)
Maybe there's more keyboards that you guys know about that would fit the bill?

With the Canadian dollar in it's current state, I would like to wait to see if it will recover a bit before buying a keyboard from the states. Otherwise I'm limited to Canadian retailers..... :-/

EDIT: @ninjacore
Sounds like your friend has the CODE keyboard I was looking at. If so, the keycaps are laser engraved, which I thought last a long time?

Not sure which keycaps are on his, but he definitely has a CODE and the caps are wearing poorly. His is a ten keyless so maybe a different model?

I'm unimpressed by his if that's what he paid, especially considering how awesome my ducky is.

Not sure which keycaps are on his, but he definitely has a CODE and the caps are wearing poorly. His is a ten keyless so maybe a different model?

Probably, the CODE I linked to has a TKL version. Same switches and LEDs. :shrug:

DAS Keyboard is going to be releasing gaming keyboards, FYI
Oh!

That will be nice to see, is there any ETA? Hope they'll have LEDs in them.
With the dollar the way it is, might be a month or so before I buy the keyboard.
My lil bro wants to buy one too so the farther our Canadian dollars go the better. :)

Honestly though, right now It's all up to the dollar when and which keyboard I get. If it rebounds a fair amount, I'll probably be getting the Vortex ONE.
If not, it's either Keycool HERO (most likely) or Ducky ONE Transparent MX Blue.
Oddly enough, the Ducky ONE is cheaper overall than the Keycool by $13 USD (shipping is cheaper on the Ducky which is weird since it's larger and heavier than the Keycool).

Now this also depends on what DAS comes out with too :)

I love my ducky, mx blues for me, just love the feel of this board.
das keyboard also makes a really nice keyboard, my buddy has one of them, and its great.

So far, as expected I dislike the Red and Blacks (I use Blacks at work) The brown feels too soft to me but the "clear" (looks like white to me :shrug: ) feels great.

I'm not sure about the Green or Blue. I love the feel of the Green but I think I would get tired of hearing the clicks while I game, not to mention if I stay up late to game, parents are sleeping in the next room.....

I'm kind of the same way. Love the clear with the greens coming in second (just wish they weren't so hard to find).

But I'm currently using a keyboard with blues, and you eventually get used to the noise. It just blends into the background game noise after a while. Then again I tend to bottom out keys no matter what keyboard I'm using so I'm used to some sort of audio feedback. As for your parents, well, appologize in advance...?

Yeah you're right. After a while of testing the blue switches in game, I just phased the sound out.
Another thing too, I love the green switches but there's no real difference vs blue switches in game if I'm just mashing keys anyway.

Are you using O-rings on your blue switches at all?

I mixed up the name on that one when I mentioned it. My friend has a Code with the green switches and pre-installed orings. It seems pretty decent, but as I mentioned, his keycaps are wearing off after less than a year.

for the record mx uses a fairly standardized key cap and there are several mfrs that sell cap sets

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/ comes to mind they will also build custom lit keyboards for you

Back