• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

980ti - EVGA Classified or Gigabyte Extreme Gaming (or something else?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Category 5

Getting dizzy deciding what 980ti to get. Was all set to get the Classified for $689 until reading a lot of the reviews stating that they aren't the same since EVGA started binning for the Kingpin cards. Some guys getting very little overclock, getting hot cards, and even getting artifacts at stock. Of course...the squeaky wheel.

Then I started thinking I may have better luck with Gigabyte's Extreme Gaming edition (air cooled one) since they aren't binning for a higher tier product. The stock OC seems to be the most agressive too, so I imagine they pick some good chips for that version.

Lightning is too expensive, and Kingpin...forget about it. I'd rather get one card now and save for a second in 6-8 months.

So now I'm at an impasse. I just don't know what to get. I keep reading about ASIC quality, and think the Gigabyte would give me a better shot at an 80+ ASIC (since EVGA wants a premium for those chips).

Any other suggestions? I DO plan to double up cards when i can afford it, and would like to keep them the same.

thanks!

They're all a silicon lottery.

What do you plan to do with the GPU, gaming?
Staying with air cooling or going to water?

Gaming mostly. Planning to stick with air since there's not a lot of room left in my case after the H110 water cooler for the CPU. Building machine primarily for 4K gaming and VR (soon). System is Asus X99 Deluxe, i7 5930 and 32G DDR4

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I understand they are a lottery, but it sounds like EVGA is no longer a lottery. I mean, the better chips are weeded out so there's no getting lucky anymore.

The Classy would be a waste on air, as are any of the cards set up from the factory to run LN2. Any of the other cards on air, will work just fine and it's all luck of the draw on how well the silicon will overclock.

I highly suggest looking at cards that have a dual bios, because if you plan to overclock very much, you WILL start to run into power limit issues, and need to flash to a custom bios. Made all the easier, with a dual bios setup.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not entirely true....you can still get Classys, FTWs and SSCs with 80% ASIC quality.

Darn near all of these will top out around 1500 mhz on the core without bios mods.

Yeah and 50 mhz isn't going to make much difference gaming. If you are just gaming get the cheapest one you can with a decent air cooler on it.

EDIT: This looks like a good deal right now it's on sale. Gigabyte Windforce 3X

PS I have a 80% card and on air it overclocks like the rest

Last edited:
I got the MSi Golden Edition 980GTX Ti. I can run all games 1080p/1440p 60fps solid maxed out and get between 45-60fps on 4k ultra HD maxed on games. Great Card.

I think I'm going to go with the Gigabyte Extreme. Seems to have the dual bios, and has the highest factory OC so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good one. I dig the looks too.

Thanks for the advice all!

Just bought giga 980 ti waterforce.
This card is ridiculously fast with ln2 bios enabled.
So far best clocks stable are
C@1538
M@8002
ImageUploadedByOverclockers1453915656.755285.jpg

Crosshair v formula z
8370@ 4.8
Kingston 8g @1666
2 Samsung ssd
Evga 1000g psu
Gigabyte 980 ti waterforce

Nice. Got the xtreme but can't seem to get over 1475. Asic was a paltry 66.9%

Still FAST as sh*t!!!!!!

Just ordered an Asus Strix OC, excited to see how it runs. The Dell 34" needed something with a little more oomph

Actual reported in GPU-Z while running a unigine demo. 1404 is what's reported with the stock OC. I was able to add 71 to that. Not sure it's totally stable there thouhg, since 1485 crashed right away.

I'm still amazed that this card barely tips 50c with almost 1.2 volts to it.
I ramped up the core to 1564 with same voltage,and was able to play Diablo 3 for an hour with no crashes.
ASIC quiality is 74%

Crosshair v formula z
8370@ 4.8
Kingston 8g @1666
2 Samsung ssd
Evga 1000g psu
Corsair 110i gtx

Did I mention that I HIGHLY recommend this card. 😎

Crosshair v formula z
8370@ 4.8
Kingston 8g @1666
2 Samsung ssd
Evga 1000g psu
Corsair 110i gtx

Last edited by a moderator:
@ category - 1471 isn't bad.. not grsat, but not bad. :)

Apathy, glad you like it! (No need to type in your system for each post though.. you shod be able to create a signature now or soon.

Ok. Thx for the info. I'll delete it.

Crosshair v formula z
8370@ 4.8
Kingston 8g @1666
2 Samsung ssd
Evga 1000g psu
Corsair 110i gtx

@ category - 1471 isn't bad.. not grsat, but not bad. :)

Apathy, glad you like it! (No need to type in your system for each post though.. you shod be able to create a signature now or soon.

I suppose not. If I get a second card will they run at the slowest clock speed or do they not have to match?

They should match.. and in SLI, you usually do not reach the same clocks as with one card anyway.

Back