• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best bang for the buck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

Basically after posting this thread:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/768959-Supplemental-PC-build

I've decided not to go with mini itx because the options are limited and I didn't really need something small.

I also realized i have a graphics card laying about doing nothing so an APU is pointless when I can just toss that in there.

So my question is, for a pc that is mainly just going to be recording a couple of HD webcam feeds, video rendering, bluray ripping etc what would be the best CPU (AMD or Intel, no preference) that has the best performance per dollar.

For the case, ram, SSD, psu, mobo and cpu i'm looking at a budget of about $250, so I'm not looking for anything much over $70.

I literally have no idea so any nudge in the right direction would be great.

For a machine that will do what you want and budget cost of $250, I would doubt you'll get anything that is capable to do it. You might get away with a barebones system for more or less that much, but then you need to add a HDD/SSD, maybe ram as well with an OS and there goes your budget.

Unless you can pick up used parts, that's a pretty tight budget to work with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=Barebones&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Last edited:
I like a tight budget when it comes to PC building (cuz Im poor) but Nebulous is right . Used parts will still push your budget, if it can be done at all. I suggest stretching out your timeframe to have a slightly bigger budget. You'll have a much nicer build for it.

But if you really like a budget rig, then peruse the Phenom II processors. They can be had for around $50 or less used depending on what you choose. A mobo can possibly run another $50-75. Ram cost is flexible depending on what/how much you choose. but there is still more building to do and not much budget left....

Well then, you found what you were looking for within your budget. Hopefully that setup will have enough horsepower to do what you need it to do and not choke up.

Oh ok. Was getting a little confused. So this would take care of everything pretty well right?

I'm also tossing in an old GTX 650 ti because I aren't using it, which will make it an entry level gaming rig right? But want to make sure the system will do the job without it because there may be a situation where I want to use the 650 for something else.

Sure I don't see why not. Tho the GTX 650ti isn't a monster of a card, but for gaming it'll do ok with medium settings. It's only a 2gb with 128bit so it might choke on certain games.

Yeah the parts you listed will do fine for your needs.

Can the VRM really handle that CPU? I know it's listed in the CPU support list, but it wouldn't be the first time a "supported" CPU fries the motherboard...

I agree with Nebulous. That 650Ti will not blow your mind, but if your content with medium settings (depending on the game) at 1080p resolution, it should serve you well. After all, it's more capable than my GTX 650, which in turn is more capable than the best integrated GPUs in those AMD APUs...

the only thing I take issue with in the linked build is the amount of ram, speed and timings mean nothing but you do need 8 gigs these days.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Was considering getting a mobo with 4 memory slots but with the price difference it's almost more affordable to just replace the 2x2 with 4x4 if I need to.

Ah for $10 more I upgraded to some flashy 2x4gb ram. Works with the colour scheme now.

Back