• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The fan sometimes doesnt start by itself ( I need to give it a push )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so to be clear on this you have a 4pin(AKA PWM fan) attached to a 3 pin fan header and its not working consistently?

If thats the case my suggestion would be to buy a standard fan. The problem is likely that since the fan isnt receiving PWM signal its occasionally just going stupid. Simply bridging the pin 4 to pin 2 might solve this issue because AFAIK PWM to ground is full speed signal, but realistically your running the wrong type of fan, and issues are to be expected.

From what I can tell the fan has both 4-pin Molex and 3-pin fan header.

Yes, my fan is 4 pins and it's attached to 3 pins fan header.

As for putting a bit of oil in the center of the fan, first I need to take the part that's blocking it, I tried doing it but it's kinda hard and I dont wanna break it ..

Anyway this seems really complicated and I am probably gonna end up buying either a new one or maybe just buying the converter cable to 3 pins and connect it to the PSU, whatever that works.

Thank you for your help

Yes, my fan is 4 pins and it's attached to 3 pins fan header.

As for putting a bit of oil in the center of the fan, first I need to take the part that's blocking it, I tried doing it but it's kinda hard and I dont wanna break it ..

There is a label on it that you peel back to put a drop of oil in. (see below)
Fan1a.jpg
Fan2a.jpg

p.s. yes I know label is spelled wrong in the pic :))

Sorry for my late reply.

Ok so, I put like 1-2 drops of oil to my fan and unfortunately that didnt change anything ..
Other than that I took back my old Arctic Cooler fan to test it out, whenever I start the PC, the BIOS detects the fan even if it spins as low as 200 RPM ( the fan was damaged in the delivery process so it wont work good ), yet it never detects the current fan I am using.

That said, I couldnt bother myself more with this so I ordered a new fan from eBay since I think my problem lies in the fan itself.
I'll have to wait til I get the new fan so I can see if that will fix the problem .. until then I'll just keep my current one.

Thanks for your help people.

Hopefully you didn't order another fan that's a piece of junk like the one that just died...

Ok so, a little update on my case.

The fan I was waiting for has arrived and I've tested it, so far it's working and my IOH is not so hot ( in the mornings it's like 60-63C but mostly during the whole day it's somewhere at 70C because of my warm room which is 24-26C ).

Though what I noticed is that even the new fan does not get detected by the BIOS / other softwares to check the speed, but to be honest that's not a problem since I know the speed of the fan which is 3000 RPM according to the post where I bought it from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330958619496?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

how do you rate a 3k rpm 80mm fan's noise?
I mean, does it loud enough to bother you?
this would be a very subjective matter, but it always interesting to hear other's opinion about noise of a certain rpm fan (just call it a survey, perhaps) :)

rpm report won't bother me much as well,
I utilize it just for setup purpose only (using manual fan control mode, here)
as long as the temps are good, and the noise is good.... I'm good :D

3000RPM is a bit slower than a typical desk fan which is 3600RPM. It shouldn't be particularly noisy if the bearings are good.

Im pretty much satisfied by the speed, the previous 2 fans that I used were 1200 RPM and 2000 RPM, so this one's great at least for me.
There's no noise, I cant hear anything, according to the ebay post where I bought it from, the noise it makes is 28db and that's not something you would be bothered by I guess.

good to hear :thup:

the last time I'm dealing with 80mm fans, I were never paying enough attention with the noise vs rpm value.
and now a 3 wired 80mm fan is quite hard to find here, where I live.
it really surprised me when checking a 70mm fan running @2.5k (amd stock fan) and barely hear anything from it.

The bearing is generally what you hear when it comes to PC fan noise. The fans that AMD and Intel use have come a long way, they used to be some of the loudest fans you could get.

you should hear a 120mm fan spinning @3k rpm, then :D

I'm still on firm believe that rpm is the main contributor to the noise generated by fans
try slow that 3k rpm down to 800rpm, I can expect significant decrease in noise level (with performance impact as well :D).
but only then I could notice the other noise; such as bearings, the clicking noise, or any disturbing object on the intake, etc.

but that reminds me to the GT's,
the noise was quite special @1850rpm

you should hear a 120mm fan spinning @3k rpm, then :D

I'm still on firm believe that rpm is the main contributor to the noise generated by fans
try slow that 3k rpm down to 800rpm, I can expect significant decrease in noise level (with performance impact as well :D).
but only then I could notice the other noise; such as bearings, the clicking noise, or any disturbing object on the intake, etc.

but that reminds me to the GT's,
the noise was quite special @1850rpm

But what exactly is making the noise then? Because some fans will make a lot of noise at 1500RPMs while others don't really make much.

The only two causes for fan noise that I can think of are the mechanics and airflow. I can't imagine unless there's an obstruction, that there's a whole lot of impact on noise production as the airflow is increased. My thinking is noise coming from fans comes more from the balance of the blades, and quality and type of the bearings.

But what exactly is making the noise then? Because some fans will make a lot of noise at 1500RPMs while others don't really make much.

The only two causes for fan noise that I can think of are the mechanics and airflow. I can't imagine unless there's an obstruction, that there's a whole lot of impact on noise production as the airflow is increased. My thinking is noise coming from fans comes more from the balance of the blades, and quality and type of the bearings.

One of two things: bearing design or blade design.

indeed the mechanics and airflow create the noise.
I'd take blade design and the bearings as mechanics.

any vibrations due to the balancing of the blade or mounting will be amplify by the case and create additional noise.
I think even the airflow bouncing inside the case creating the noise as well :bang head

and you can do a simple test with your fans.
run it in an open space,
then move it as an intake right behind a mesh of the case.
I notice most of my fans generating noise on this spot (windowed side panel with mesh are the worst as they vibrate more).
having a shroud (or spacer) on the intake reduce the noise, and it would be better if I can find some dampening material for the window.

Basically what I was saying. I've noticed that my fans are pretty quiet, until dust builds up on the blades. My guess is because the dust throws the fan off-balance.

That's a correct assumption.
If it does make a noise from the get-go it's most likely a bearing design issue.

I don't know about you guys but the smaller the fans have a higher pitch, for me at least. My 92mm antec fans in my old 15 yr old Antec case are screamers.

Back