• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connect 2 Routers Wirelessly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I am wondering if it's possible to bridge 2 routers so that one is my main router which my PC connects to via Ethernet and broadcasts a wireless connection and the 2nd router can link to that connection and provide 3 Ethernet ports up stairs for my PS3/360.

My routers are a Technicolor TGN582N 4 Port Wireless N router (Main)
and a ZyXel AMG1302-T10B 4 Port Wireless N router (this has bridge mode on it)

I've tried to look at some guides but I'm finding it difficult to do it because I find my main router the Technicolor a bugger to sort out it's settings because it has a crap UI well both of them do, When I go in to the ZyXel router I just find it's bridge mode feature and enable it but after that I just don't know what to do next.

You need one router to act as a client. Onmy terrible Netgear MBR1210, you type in the MAC address of the base router and enter in the IP to be used by the Netgear router as the repeater, then it connects. I tried it before and it did not work, so I'm unsure if it's come proprietary system Netgears has or what.

The easiest way to do what you want to do is with DD-WRT. I currently have a D-Link DIR-601 connecting to the Netgear as a client and passing the internet along to my computer via Cat5 LAN.
I don't think you can throw DD-WRT on those routers though....

So yes, it can be done and honestly, I would spend a few bucks on a cheap DD-WRT compatible router flash DD-WRT to it then set it up. The ddwrt wiki has a few guides too.

If you can get some pics of your ZyXel web interface I can see if I can help. (Blur out the SSID and stuff like that of course)

You can do it, but I believe doing so cuts the bandwidth by 50% if it is setup as a repeater

I used a Linksys one before I did the MoCA 2.0 (Ethernet over Coax). I know take the Ethernet output of the MoCA 2.0 and run it into a wireless router.

The old Linksys is just collecting dust now...

It does cut the usable wireless bandwidth by half

Obviously a wireless access point or a repeater would work, but I think the point is he should be able to make it work with the equipment he already had and not have to go out and buy anything. Cutting the bandwidth in half won't matter for hooking up those gaming consoles as they are 100mb/s purrs and don't come close to using all of it.

OP, post some screen shots of the interface of the router you are attempting to use as the bridge and we can probably figure it out.

Back