• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TVPC / HTPC input needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like i need to do some learning about virtual machines. Know any quick guides?

Whether or not you will get local channels will depend on your cable provider. Comcast in Chicago switched over to an all digital signal back I'm 2010 so everything is encrypted now. You need a registered cable box to make any tv work.

Also, once you convert your win 8 license over to 10 you won't be able to use 8 again, not even in a VM. You could however use another copy of 10, you just won't be able to activate it though. Not a big loss though as you really only lost the ability to personalize the desktop. Everything else works. Microsoft really wants everyone in their store eco system and to collect data so they made 10 99% functional without having to activate it.

i updated my win 8.1 install to windows 10... then installed said copy of win 8.1 to my htpc.
both are activated and updating.

If you're still considering case options I was looking at the Silverstone ML06 for my HTGPC if I went the ITX route or the GD05B-USB3.0 like Thiddy's for anything larger. With the ML06 you would need to switch to an SFX PSU though.

maybe you should check this out https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/ they have a dvr app for it so you can still record shows on your pc too https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/hd-homerun-dvr/ then get a simple android device for the tv to stream to, firetv is a good choice if you have amazon prime. or use plex or kodi with an xbox or a small light htpc.

I have one silicondust that gets the OTA signals. I was going to do an experiment and see what it can pull in via QAM. If it works good (gets bravo like my hauppauge card) then I might get another hdhomerun and go the VM route with Windows 8.1 pro in a VM running WMC for live tv.

Live TV is the whole hangup. I have not found a Plex channel that is reasonably easy to use for live tv/dvr. Or something else that works with HDhomeruns. I hear that Kodi is equally troubled and nothing can really match WMC which is dead with windows 8.1 (pro). Compounding this is that I use xbox360s as extenders which work awesome with WMC and are easy to navigate and use. I have amazon prime but I do not have any android devices.. Maybe it is something I should consider.

Cost is a factor.

A VM is free and I might have to get a copy of win 8.1 pro. and maybe a silicon dust homerun. That looks like about $200 max

Building a stand alone 8.1 box that can take my Hauppauge card would be about $500 but I might be able to get away with a NUC running 8.1 and an additional homerun for less.

Getting android devices for my other TVs to replace my Xbox360s ... 3 x $??

WAF = pricele$$

This is very frustrating....

Back