• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI two different cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

laci90

Registered
What would happen i you SLI two different cards for example the 8600 gts 512MB with gtx 660 2GB?I would try it but i am afraid that it would cause some damage.

it will not damage things, it just will not work.
the cards have to be from the same family.

What would happen i you SLI two different cards for example the 8600 gts 512MB with gtx 660 2GB?I would try it but i am afraid that it would cause some damage.

You can't 'SLI' them - IE to work together for increased performance, but you can run two cards at the same time though and have a monitor/display attached to each card without any issues (unless drivers only support one and not the other, which is possible with cards that far apart in age).

If you use 2 different cards then both will work but there simply won't be an option to enable SLI in the driver's panel.
Nvidia locked any way to SLI different cards in new drivers so you need the same GPU to make it work. Modded drivers etc were sometimes working in the past but I'm not sure if it's still working. At least many users in the linked thread can't make it work on new hardware.
AMD let you set Crossfire on 2 different cards from the same family but it's also not working with all cards ( there was a table on their website ).

In this case I just see no point to SLI 8600 with gtx660. I mean 8600 will only slow down everything even if it will work in sli.

Well using it without sli is useless too because only one will work at a time.i was just curious if you can sli them

Did you read the link I provided earlier in the thread?

Anyway, it is not remotely worth it considering the HUGE performance difference between the two. My suggestion, trash that old arse card and move forward.

Back