• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply & UPS/AVR surge protection unit recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syrianrue

system spec:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
Intel core i7-4770k 3.5 Ghz
-----PSU: Seasonic S12G 650W (80 Plus Gold) currently failing
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce gtx 780
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Hard Drives: main with os: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
and 3 other hard drives for storage

*possible upgrade in the future:
better gpu
34 inch ultrawide
audio card
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone recommend a good PSU by any chance?
I've recently moved to Taiwan, and I think this is the web site they use a lot for purchasing things online. It lists a lot of PSU on there, I have the 700w-1000w range selected. Can anyone see if they see any good psu from that site by any chance? ^_^ thanks in advance
http://24h.pchome.com.tw/store/DRAE2E

Also, I've had 2-3 psu died in the past 7 years or so, should I look into getting a UPS or AVR ? I have no clue when it comes to these surge protection units. What's the difference between UPS and AVR? and which is actually preferred for protecting your computer and power supply? They seem to vary greatly in prices.

UPS = battery backup. The cheap units will switch to battery power if your mains power goes out.
The good units will not only switch over to battery power if the power goes out, but will also switch over to battery if any other problems are detected, such as too low/high of input voltage, voltage spikes or dips. These are usually referred to as AVR units.

True Active UPS' run off the battery all the time, and provide the most stable voltage to your connected equipment, as the mains power is simply used to keep the battery recharged.

As far as what to get, stick with either APC or Cyberpower. Find a unit that can handle what your PC pulls when your pushing it (like when gaming) and have enough run time to allow a safe shut down. You can just go with whatever is the highest rating (1500?) and just be done with it, but if you want to save some money, you can get something rated for less. But again, it should have enough wattage to handle your system and give enough run time!

For a replacement PSU I would suggest an EVGA 550W G2. You won't pull more than about 400W on that system, even with overclocking and your possible upgrades.

Check out the CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD for a UPS, they're great units. You want AVR, which this unit has, as mpegger mentioned.

hmm don't see any EVGA, but I do see a lot of Leadex Super Flower.
I did a google search, it seems like EVGA is the rebrand name? So i'm guessing Leadex super flower would be a good choice then? :D

Leadex Super Flower is an OEM of PSU's. They manufacture most (if not all) of the G2 series for EVGA.
I've never seen a poorly designed unit from Leadex Super Flower :)

Back