• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a q9650 to 3.6ghz HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i want to get the speed to 423 x9 (3.8ghz). do you think thats doable? i believe it would make the ram at 846mhz, so its not too far over the rated 800mhz. id be happy with a stable 3.8Ghz.

Sure as long as your temps stay under control you should be able to get that far.

so i got it to 400 x9 stable. i tried for 405 and it booted windows, temps were good, but it did not pass intel burn test. Any ideas on what would be the cause. my NB is 1.3 and my Vcore was just under 1.2

GOT IT! the temps are getting a little high now. i don't want to go over where its at, what voltages effect CPU temp the most? ill see if i can work the temps back down to about 58C full load.

20160128_155417_resized.jpg 20160128_155514_resized.jpg

20160128_155327_resized.jpg 20160128_155500_resized.jpg

19% INCREASE FROM STOCK 3.00GHZ BENCH!

The 70s are just fine...

Vcore is the main factor in temperatures of the cpu.

You can also screenshot instead of taking pictures of the screen. Hit prt-scn button, paste into paint, crop as needed, save and host here. Or hit alt+prt-scnn.com to get the active window.

ill download lightshot and screenshot the next update, lol. ill see if i can lower the vcore at all. would ram timing effect passing intel burn?

You passed as is. I'd call it a day and leave it be.

im only at 3.69Ghz though. maybe ill raise the FSB in increments of 2 untill i max out stable overclocks with my current voltage settings. its really come alive since the last .2ghz, it surprised me.

If you do don't be afraid to raise the ram voltage one notch too. 3.8 is likely not going to happen but you never know.

my ram voltage is currently at 1.96V. will going 2+ damage it?

Probably not, ddr2 can handle 2.1v and your ram has heat sinks on it. If your not over 800mhz you should not have to over volt your ram.

but it did not pass intel burn test.

I would give a Vcore bump. 3.6 looks easy on a Yorkie. Looks nothing like my 65nm.

OTOH, I dunno if Windows can even complete boot on my 65nm at 3.6... It was already fussy at just 3.3...

i am currently stable @ 415 x9 (3.735Ghz). it passes intel burn and the temps dont rise above 61C

im having trouble making the jump to 420 x9 though

also, if i push my ram to 2V i get a black screen after the windows loading screen, the cursor is there and can be moved around though.

Using the same settings if u bump the FSB to 420 it wont post.

Last edited:
so i gave up and went back to my original 415 x9 settings in the bios but now it wont post. i reset to defaults and is still isnt posting. when i turn it on it doesn't post, then it resets itself and post to a message that says my overclock failed (even though its all set to default). when i go to the bios => system information it says my q9650 is running at 2.4ghz instead of 3.0ghz. im really lost, the overclock i had was stable, but i know that the cpu should be working with stock settings... idk what to do to diagnose it, any help is appreciated. ive already ran memtest with a bootable usb, the memory checked out ok

Won't post but you are in the bios? It postedif you are in the bios...

Try a hard cmos reset... power off system, unllug, take cmos battery out.. wait 15 minutes and put it all back in...

Won't post but you are in the bios? It postedif you are in the bios...

Try a hard cmos reset... power off system, unllug, take cmos battery out.. wait 15 minutes and put it all back in...
it wont post, resets, then posts but wont boot windows ststing "overclock failed!" and tells me to load defaults or enter the bios. if i load defaults it does the same thing starting from the top all over again

F**K i thought i destroyed my CPU for a minute, lol. it worked and its posting and booting now. im working my way back up to 410 x9. i got 400 x9 stable just now. so what the hell happened? why is 415 x9 the limit im hitting? Ram, Mobo ??

Back