• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding box and stoarage server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

Plan is to build a folding box, no more than two GPUs in it, have one, and another down the road, Here is what I have so far. Most of which I had sitting for awhile from upgrading the rig on the sig. The OS is for me to test out as I don't have any spare licenses for 7 (and never liked 8 enough to use it) anymore. I went ahead and got a copy. Will this CPU be enough to let the one GPU fold freely and still not hinder one or two computers from accessing data from the WD reds? I'm not sure how much CPU it take to run an ATI card. I figure the Storage will be primarily for DVD/BR rips that can be accessed from one of a couple PC's on the network. Not sure what else you need to, but ask away and ill do my best to answer.

Maybe the folding be strong in this new machine though (not likely with an ATI card :rain:).

I got the cooler for 39.99, I was just using pcpartpicker for ease of use and one stop listing of items. I was just curios if folding would interfere with access to the drives or I should be good so long as I'm not trying to let 20 computers access it at once, this all typed from the new pc minus some other things, not sure I like win10 though. i'll have to start browsing the thread there for answers to some questions I have.

As long as you are just GPU folding, you should be fine. My Core 2 Quad system I used as a server could do just about anything while serving files without any lag or anything.

you can also save some cash with cheaper , slower ram, some cheap 1600 or so will be more than fine.

I already had the ram in this current system. I believe it's what was holdin back the OC in the thing, so I got some nice G.Skill 1866 2x8 ram for this and ill put that corsair in the strage machine, I know its way overkill, but go big or go home? I just do the wrong things sometimes and have to fork over money to get it right later on, I could break that 4 stick set apart and make another system down the road I think, lol.

Good to hear that just GPU foldin ought not interfere with the networked storage on that thing. Now I just get to figure out hwo to allow access across the network for certain files, should be fun.

I got the new system doin a wu as we speak, its only adding another 200k ppd or so, which will be nice, but I NEED MORE!!!

Back