• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fried 6700k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KharmaKazi

Registered
been having some big problems lately with the new build
i stuffed the socket on my Gigabyte gaming G1 mobo, by being stupid ! "won't go into that now"

bought an Asus maximus Viii hero mobo to get me out of trouble until i find out whats going to happen with my G1 mobo.
hero was runing fine until i decided to use the auto over clock software, it got to 4.8Ghz then crashed, then re-booted then did some more over clocking stuff for a cpl of seconds more, then crashed again.
then i couldn't get back into bios at all. just boots up until q-code 04 then no further.
i tried clearing cmos, flashing bios with previous bios, leaving the battery out overnight, only running 1 stick of ram etc etc...

got the board replaced under warranty as it was under a week old.
just gave the new board a try and same thing is happening, getting stuck on code 04.

had a closer look at my CPU and it has some light brown discouloration in two of the corners on the pins side of the cpu ?
i will try to get a photo up if i can, but seeing as how i'm having to use my TV for internet access atm it's not likelly :(

does it sound like i have fried my CPU ???

Did you try anything before pushing to 4.8 with the auto setting?

comp was running fine for a few days ATM, had just run some benchmarking tests etc and everything was all good.

CPU cooling block is an EK supremacy evo wingman. was using the same block for a while without any issues.
going by the instructions they say to tighten th nuts all the way to the end, which does seem pretty tight ?
this time i tightened them all the way then backed off 1 full turn on each nut...

i did have a bit of a look when i re-fitted it to see if it was warped at all Johan, i didn't notice anything significant.
but it was just a quick look. i am going to pull it out again shortly so i'll let you know what i find under a closer inspection.

today i bit the bullet and bought another I7 6700K CPU. i just can't be without my PC for the amount of time i have been this week :(
will keep you guys posted with how things go after i fit the new CPU. not going to tighten the block up so hard this time though, just in case...

i did have a bit of a look when i re-fitted it to see if it was warped at all Johan, i didn't notice anything significant.
but it was just a quick look. i am going to pull it out again shortly so i'll let you know what i find under a closer inspection.

today i bit the bullet and bought another I7 6700K CPU. i just can't be without my PC for the amount of time i have been this week :(
will keep you guys posted with how things go after i fit the new CPU. not going to tighten the block up so hard this time though, just in case...

Highly unlikely(but possible) you have fried the 6700k. It's more likely that you have a habbit of destroying motherboards.
-Try disabling fast bootup from the BIOS, if you have trouble getting into the bios try using ps/2 keyboard.-
Try loosening the cpu block mounting a little bit and also make sure your block is not leaking.
Make sure you never ever put your computer into hybrid sleep mode or any sleep mode.

well looks like it was the CPU, fitted the new one and all good again.

no habbit in destroying mobo's mate, built a few PC's now and this is the first time iv'e ran into anything like this.
i don't use fast boot. it was impossible to get into bios at all, it just wouldn't get that far before the q-code 04 came up.
thoroughly checked the whole system for leaks.
i don't use sleep modes.

with the other mobo i was using "Gigagbyte gaming G1" i had all sorts of little problems from the start, over volting, couldn't do a decent stable over clock etc etc.
now i'm starting to think the CPU was the root of all my problems from the start.
hopefully i can keep this one going for a bit longer :p

i'll have to RMA the other CPU

well looks like it was the CPU, fitted the new one and all good again.

no habbit in destroying mobo's mate, built a few PC's now and this is the first time iv'e ran into anything like this.
i don't use fast boot. it was impossible to get into bios at all, it just wouldn't get that far before the q-code 04 came up.
thoroughly checked the whole system for leaks.
i don't use sleep modes.

with the other mobo i was using "Gigagbyte gaming G1" i had all sorts of little problems from the start, over volting, couldn't do a decent stable over clock etc etc.
now i'm starting to think the CPU was the root of all my problems from the start.
hopefully i can keep this one going for a bit longer :p

i'll have to RMA the other CPU

Perhaps the CPU had malfunction from the start. It is really difficult to bork a CPU by "normal" overclocking. Most motherboards will prevent overvoltage and overheating.
Fingers crossed your RMA goes trough and still I encourage you to keep an eye for any leaks. Watercooling systems will pressurize when water temps raise and this may cause a seal to leak.

yep hope the RMA goes ok ? i also have one going for the Gigabyte gaming G1 mobo "which i stupidly damaged" the company i bought the mobo from are trying to see if they can get it fixed for me.

i will keep my eye out for leaks too Waza, i'm pretty much always on the lookout for any leaks anyway ;)

i will also update this thread as soon as i find out any more on the RMA...

i'll also post some pics of the CPU when i can get around to digging the DSLR out, to show you what i mean about the discoloration of the CPU "pins side"

Been reading various forums on skylake overclocking and I've read a few posts where people have had 1.5+v given to their chip when left on automatic. Could be a situation here.

the voltages on auto on this asus hero board i'm using seems a lot more stable than the gigabyte one i was using, i am very wary of doing any over clocking atm until i get this sorted out.

don't know if you will be able to pick it up as iv'e has to resize, but this is a pic of the CPU, marks are mainly on the left bottom and top I6700K CPU.jpg

Those pads look fine to me :shrug:
All I see are slightly darker pads on the top left and bottom. But that shouldn't be an issue.
I was expecting scorch marks actually...

Looks fine to me. I've actually had pins fry in the socket leaving scortch marks on my 4790K and it still runs fine.

How about doing some manual overclocking through the BIOS instead of relying on auto.
Auto will consistently give too much voltage and, especially when pushing over ~4.5-4.6GHz, go over what's considered safe for longevity.

the voltages on auto on this asus hero board i'm using seems a lot more stable than the gigabyte one i was using, i am very wary of doing any over clocking atm until i get this sorted out.

don't know if you will be able to pick it up as iv'e has to resize, but this is a pic of the CPU, marks are mainly on the left bottom and top View attachment 174130

I can see what you are talking about, hope the warranty goes well.

hope the warranty goes well.

finally got around to sending the CPU back for RMA last week, the shop tested and confirmed the fault.
they gave me the option of a replacement or a refund, went for a refund as i bought another 6700k to keep me going anyway.
hopefully the RMA on the Gigabyte Z170x gaming G1 mobo goes as well...

Back