• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Failing to install windows 7 to ssd. Help Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

romanpro

Registered
Hello everyone.

Can anybody explain what i do wrong. I just cant manage to install win7 to my PC. I have tried million things now and no success! I try to install w7 via usb flash disk. I have tried usb2.0 usb stick and usb 3.0. Tried every possible way with rufus. After clicking install now it goes straight to "Select the driver to be installed" and got error "A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. If you have a floppy etc etc" After clicking OK got another alert "No device driver were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok"

I have tried switching between every usb port i have - no luck.

Motherboard is MSI z170a Krait Gaming
SSD samsung evo 500gb

Please help. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Can anybody explain what i do wrong. I just cant manage to install win7 to my PC. I have tried million things now and no success! I try to install w7 via usb flash disk. I have tried usb2.0 usb stick and usb 3.0. Tried every possible way with rufus. After clicking install now it goes straight to "Select the driver to be installed" and got error "A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. If you have a floppy etc etc" After clicking OK got another alert "No device driver were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok"

I have tried switching between every usb port i have - no luck.

Motherboard is MSI z170a Krait Gaming
SSD samsung evo 500gb

Please help. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Please forgive but the first question to come to mind is "Is your W7 OEM, full retail or illegal?"

What device or driver is it looking for? Do you have a disk?

I'm guessing it is looking for xhci/usb drivers. There should be an option in the bios to enable that kind of support. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Please forgive but the first question to come to mind is "Is your W7 OEM, full retail or illegal?"

It is OEM, it is stated so.

What device or driver is it looking for? Do you have a disk?

I'm guessing it is looking for xhci/usb drivers. There should be an option in the bios to enable that kind of support. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

I dont know. Drive selection area is empty, i cant select drive where i want to install windows. SSD are showed up in bios.

Has the ssd been initialized and formatted? Can you put it in the boot sequence?

You may need to plug that ssd into another machine with windows. In computer managment, go to storage, and see if the drive can be initialized and formatted.

But z170 and w7 need support for xhci usb drivers...not sure if the issue is the ssd or the USB thing... typically the USB thing is in windows though.

See my edit... :)

I have regular hdd wester digital also and it also wont show up in drive selection option. Atm not plugged in, because i thought this will cause problem as there are two drives, but still nothing. maybe there is drivers issue here, but how can i add/install them?

These are errors i encounter:
20160130_014125.jpg
and this is after clicking browse:
20160130_014136.jpg

Last edited:
So no drives show up at all?

Are the drives plugged into the proper ports (see manual for which is which)...I assume the white ones? Does your western digital have an os on it alreadtly? If so, boot to it. It may take a few minutes to figure itself out and get usb drivers, but, could allow you to see if that ssd needs initilaized and formatted.

No drive show up in drive selection at installation.
They have plugged into proper ports and everything is showing up in bios also. WD are also brand new in fact everything in my case are brand new. No os in WD. And i cant install to this either because of same error.

I had a similar problem with a linux distro. It would hang when it checked the CD drive instead of the USB drive for whatever file it happened to be looking for. I was only using USB because it was faster so I switched to the CD install after that. I did confirm the problem by adding the disc to the drive (while the usb install was hanging) and the installation continued, Tough to follow I know, but true.

For your case if you cant move to dvd, then I would try unplugging the optical drive or disabling it in the BIOS and then give it a shot. I cant guarantee it will work, especially since the drives arent showing up in the browse window, but its one more thing you could try

I had a similar problem with a linux distro. It would hang when it checked the CD drive instead of the USB drive for whatever file it happened to be looking for. I was only using USB because it was faster so I switched to the CD install after that. I did confirm the problem by adding the disc to the drive (while the usb install was hanging) and the installation continued, Tough to follow I know, but true.

For your case if you cant move to dvd, then I would try unplugging the optical drive or disabling it in the BIOS and then give it a shot. I cant guarantee it will work, especially since the drives arent showing up in the browse window, but its one more thing you could try

I dont have any cd/dvd drives installed in my case. I could try to disable it anyway in bios if there are such option there.

There probably wont be an option there since you havent got a drive connected. My next step would be to check the integrity of your install media. Where are you getting Win7 from? Perhaps it was corrupted in the download? If you can check the md5 checksum of your ISO then do so. If the md5 matches then the download is good and I am stumped.

edit: the md5 should be listed on the site where you got the ISO from. and there are many md5 check utilities available fro free online.

There probably wont be an option there since you havent got a drive connected. My next step would be to check the integrity of your install media. Where are you getting Win7 from? Perhaps it was corrupted in the download? If you can check the md5 checksum of your ISO then do so. If the md5 matches then the download is good and I am stumped.

edit: the md5 should be listed on the site where you got the ISO from. and there are many md5 check utilities available fro free online.
windows is good, just tried it on my laptop and it didnt failed, find all drives and i can select them. So i am guessing that problem are somewhere else in my new PC, it wont communicate with usb or what so ever. I am clueless and frustrated. Never had this problem.

I am having the same exact issue now once getting past the non working keyboard..............

what about a different usb port? When a usb keyboard/mouse wont work there will be one port that is guaranteed to work. Still just guessing though. I think Earthdog had a legitamate suggestion with trying a DVD if possible. at the very least it will help with the troubleshooting, and we can cross one more thing off the list.

Edit: Try installing a version of linux and see if you can complete. Or try formatting your drive from the live CD. Might yield some positive results, but then again YMMV

My issue was the Win 7 boot drive was not working with the USB 3.0 I had to move the USB drive to a USB 2.o port as well as my keyboard.

Install in progress now :thup:

I got all sorted out. Downloaded tool from MSI which installed some drivers to my usb stick. So now i have successfully installed windows 7. But now i receive a lot of complains from my friends that w7 is pointless for this set i have. So my question is : What should i prefer? W7 or W8.1 or W10 ?

Windows 7 isn't pointless... btw I wold go with 10.

That tools is the USB xhci drivers I believe...

Back