• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading my CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjkart20

Right now I have the fx-6300 overclocked to a stable 4.6. Overall my computer runs pretty good but I was looking at get a little more performance. I use my computer for everyday use and some online gaming (Iracing which runs primarily on CPU). I was debating switching over to intel or buying a different AMD cpu. 8350, 9370, 9590? What do you all think?

A 6600K would be a nice upgrade for you, iRacing primarily utilizes a single fast core.

I can't imagine it being worth it honestly. Since they are the same cpus essentially, you would have to get one that overclocks more. Try pushing this one further is my take if it's doing fine.

What motherboard do you all recommend with Intel? I am thinking I want to avoid overclocking if it runs better than my AMD stuff.

Pretty much any Z170 board will do fine, but what's your budget?

I just setup a GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A it works just fine, it has a 3 year warranty, maybe you want more accessories.

If that game is so CPU dependant and single threaded. My recommendation initially would be to drop down to 2 or even 1 module on your 6300 and see how far that H80 can take it. You should be able to get a decent boost in speed for the game and not have to spend anything. A new z170 setup is a pretty sizeable investment.

Johan, I needed to overclock my 2600K up to ~4.5GHz for that game to feel right. Running it on the 6300 before that I had a lot of minimum frame rate issues.

If I remember correctly cjkart20 said Intel was very expensive where he lives and z170 isn't cheap to start. I was just offering s free alternative compared to several hundred dollars in parts that may aid one on-line game.

One thought, might be able to get hold of some Z97 stuff on the cheap, locally.
Would still be a huge improvement over FX for iRacing.

I tried FX even up to 5.0GHz and it was still "meh" for iRacing.

"meh" as in unplayable? Or just not like an Intel?

"meh" as in unplayable? Or just not like an Intel?

Meh as in any time you have more than 6 or 7 other cars on screen you get noticeable stutters.
Not "unplayable", per se, but if you get into a large race it can be system crippling.

It's actually funny Johan mentions trying to drop some cores and overclocking further. I was actually heading back to this forum to see what you all thought about doing that? Overall my system does run pretty well with iracing. I have my frames locked at 86 but when I am in a huge pack of cars I'll drop to the 60-65s then it will come back up. I really want to be able to lock the frames at 86 and never have it drop down. I know Intel is a huge upgrade not only from a performance standpoint but also financially. What am I looking for in the bios to drop the 6300 from 6 cores to 4 cores? Should I even try it? Or just continue to debate if I should save for Intel. Thanks for all the advice and opinions.

You are at 4.6ghz which is a decent clock speed. However going faster requires more volts and creates more heat. Between 4.8 and 5.0ghz you won't gain much so between these clock frequencies is a good goal.

Cutting cores is ok. It'll bring temps down perhaps enough to hit 4.8ghz, it's always worth a shot. I've been doing it for years and years now ;)

You are at 4.6ghz which is a decent clock speed. However going faster requires more volts and creates more heat. Between 4.8 and 5.0ghz you won't gain much so between these clock frequencies is a good goal.

Cutting cores is ok. It'll bring temps down perhaps enough to hit 4.8ghz, it's always worth a shot. I've been doing it for years and years now ;)

Sorry for this noob question but what am I looking for in the bios to achieve this? I spent weeks learning to overclock my system as a whole. Never EVER thought about disabiling a core... It's worth a shot. Then maybe with tax return money I switch to Intel.... Which is what I should have done in the first place lol

It's in the advanced section on that board under the CPU options

Or even 2 since ATM says that game runs on only 1 core. That should make it easy to boost the speed.
Just save your current profile and when you have something with 2 cores save it makes switching pretty easy.

Yeah but then what about like every day computer use? Wouldn't I want my 4 for that.

That's why I said save some profiles under tools in BIOS. Then when you startup you can just go in the bios and pick what you want 2 cores, 4 cores or all 6, Makes it really easy to switch.

Back