• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading my CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still something to think about. You would need to more than double that to see a full field in a cup race, which hammers the CPU.

So what processor will meet my needs (not worried about exceeding them, at least not yet).

I'm thinking the Asus Z170-P D3 with a 6600K would do nicely, and might even allow for one processor upgrade before Intel kills off the socket.

A 6600K is plenty for iRacing, it prefers fast cores over lots of threads.

A 6600K is plenty for iRacing, it prefers fast cores over lots of threads.

Lets say with a $500 budget (at most) going with the Intel 6600k what motherboard and ram do you all recommend? If spending that much money I'd want to make sure its not junk in 6 months from now and will still allow some upgrades later if possible? Just curious on thoughts?

I think the Z170-A is a board that costs more and has less features than the Extreme4+.

Why not buy the CPU off of NCIX US since it's on a huge sale?
Why pay almost $20 more for the RAM than Newegg has it listed for?

I think the Z170-A is a board that costs more and has less features than the Extreme4+.

Why not buy the CPU off of NCIX US since it's on a huge sale?
Why pay almost $20 more for the RAM than Newegg has it listed for?

What do you think of the
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 LGA 1151
Or
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151

I just figure if I'm gonna be spending money might as well spend a little more for a better motherboard. Last thing I want to do is have that hold me back later.

The Extreme4+ won't hold you back in any form of ambient overclocking.
You're wasting money unless there's a specific feature on one of those more expensive boards that you need.

I don't think there is anything specific I need with those other boards. Just didn't know if they would overclock better. Or support an i7 better if I upgrade to that one day? The only thing I was thinking was I liked that these other boards had more USB ports. But as long as this board will allow me to plus up the 4 USB ports on the front of my case I guess it will be fine.

Sounds like the Extreme4+ is all the board you need, and then some.

Air cooled CPU will stop overclocking before smooth voltage will run out from reserve on a low cost board.

Ok, I should of said room temperature cooled CPU will stop overclocking before smooth voltage will run out from reserve on a low cost board.

Yeah, I just remember with one of my older boards I couldn't achieve a good overclock because the vrm didn't have adequate cooling and it kept throttling my chip. Even though CPU temp was still low.

Must of been a MSI board. My board is Gigabyte and no VRM cooling it will go till the CPU blows up.

So I went ahead and ordered all of this, however I did switch the motherboard to this Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. Partially because all the asus motherboards I have owned have been great and I REALLY like the red and black color scheme a lot for my window case. Plus the RAM will be red too. Super excited!! I hope its as easy to setup and overclock as the AMD stuff.

Back