• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

such a thing as a 13" laptop with two 2.5" HDD bays? what about 14" laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

such a thing as a 13" laptop with two 2.5" HDD bays? what about 14" laptops?

I'm basically looking for the smallest/lightest possible laptop with the maximum amount of storage space...

a 13" laptop with 2 drive bays would be ideal, I want to stick two 2tb drives in one. If this isn't possible then I'd do it with a 14" laptop.

Last edited:
Um.... why not the Smallest laptop with a 500 GB m.2 SSD and a couple of 1 TB External SSDs? You would LOVE the Dell XPS 13 with Thunderbolt. Just saying, the SSD prices have dropped to incredibly low prices. Best of both worlds. I will be honest. I get about 6 hours of heavy laptop use out of my XPS. I recently bought a power companion (external battery) to power my cell and add about another 4 hours to my laptop. With light use you will get an easy 10-12 hours of use. My job makes me carry a heavy industrial laptop which I leave home. I will never carry another heavy laptop again.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd

1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) (Pictured)
$288.99 after promo code AFMSSD0125D

2TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-75E2T0B/AM)
$585.99 after promo code AFMSSD0125E

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-E...8&qid=1454159120&sr=8-2&keywords=m.2+sata+ssd (Open Box for $136.00) Thats what I bought.

Edit: As a side note, I read that anything that has an Optical drive can have a hard drive in its place. So that begs the question of whether you need a ODD.

Um.... why not the Smallest laptop with a 500 GB m.2 SSD and a couple of 1 TB External SSDs? You would LOVE the Dell XPS 13 with Thunderbolt. Just saying, the SSD prices have dropped to incredibly low prices. Best of both worlds. I will be honest. I get about 6 hours of heavy laptop use out of my XPS. I recently bought a power companion (external battery) to power my cell and add about another 4 hours to my laptop. With light use you will get an easy 10-12 hours of use. My job makes me carry a heavy industrial laptop which I leave home. I will never carry another heavy laptop again.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd

1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) (Pictured)
$288.99 after promo code AFMSSD0125D

2TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-75E2T0B/AM)
$585.99 after promo code AFMSSD0125E

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-E...8&qid=1454159120&sr=8-2&keywords=m.2+sata+ssd (Open Box for $136.00) Thats what I bought.

Edit: As a side note, I read that anything that has an Optical drive can have a hard drive in its place. So that begs the question of whether you need a ODD.

Thanks for the response, but I hate dell... their quality is not up to par. I've had two desktop systems both which had capacitors on the motherboard explode after 7 years of use. Dell refused to fix them out of warranty even though they were clearly bad capacitors that they had used (low quality). Since then I've always seen dell as a company that uses bottom-of-the-bin quality parts to try to extort the most dollar out of the consumer, I haven't bought a dell product since.... That said, if they had a 13" or 14" laptop with two drive capability, I'd buy it.

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...&qid=1454195930&sr=8-1&keywords=x250+2tb+16gb

it's 3lbs, has all the latest goodies inside, with a 2tb drive to boot....

Unless I can find a 13" or 14" with a 2nd drive bay, I think I'm going with that one.

I do think the Thinkpad is a beautiful device as well. But wayyyyy out of my price range. As for the Dell, I would say most of their stuff is average, but the XPS line really is a mac killer and has won many awards and is probably the best rated #1 laptop in 2015. But if you can afford the Thinkpad then go for it.

^Agree with this...I have 2 in the family.

Most of the laptops I looked at which had a m.2 drive also had a spare 2.5" bay.

I would agree to determine if you need an optical drive. You can get an external R/W usb dvd drive for about $20...and only plug it in when you need it.

Heck, my desktop doesn't even have an internal dvd...have one connected by sub and only turn it on when I need it.

Thanks for the response, but I hate dell... their quality is not up to par. I've had two desktop systems both which had capacitors on the motherboard explode after 7 years of use. Dell refused to fix them out of warranty even though they were clearly bad capacitors that they had used (low quality). Since then I've always seen dell as a company that uses bottom-of-the-bin quality parts to try to extort the most dollar out of the consumer, I haven't bought a dell product since.... That said, if they had a 13" or 14" laptop with two drive capability, I'd buy it.

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...&qid=1454195930&sr=8-1&keywords=x250+2tb+16gb

it's 3lbs, has all the latest goodies inside, with a 2tb drive to boot....

Unless I can find a 13" or 14" with a 2nd drive bay, I think I'm going with that one.

thats a lot of money for a dual core i7, Id go with something that had a real m2 slot and put a real m2 drive in it with a secondary 2.5 also i know most laptops are ditching dvdroms but any laptop that uses the typical style dvdrom you can get a 2.5" adapter for. ive exchanged a lot of dvd roms for hdds with a $25 adapter that slides into where the dvdrom drive goes.

good luck and happy hunting

X250 seems like a great choice. You can also get an older X model if you're on a budget, the performance (aside from GPU) is very similar.

Back