• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 8GB 290X Overclocking Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vellinious

Well, played with this GPU over the last few weeks and think I've pretty much maxed it out on the stock bios. I'm currently working on getting a custom bios done for it, but...it's proving a lot more difficult to find something that will work, than I had hoped.

Anyway, the numbers. On air I was able to achieve clocks around 1240 on the core and 1710 on the memory with +200mv in short bursts. I found that the performance at those clocks were about equal to the 970FTW (custom bios, water cooled) I had at it's best. So, fairly impressed.

Once I put it under water, and could properly push the card I was able to reach benchmark clocks as high as 1336 core, and 1812 memory. At these clocks, it surpassed the 970 by quite a margin.

The results!

Valley -- Extreme HD preset -- 3513
ZpI7cgd.png

Heaven -- Extreme presets but run in 1920 x 1080 -- 1862
CFCEdff.jpg

Firestrike -- 13828 overall / 15782 graphics score
fcEFJ5y.jpg

I couldn't quite break 16k graphics score in Firestrike...that was kind of the goal that I had set for myself when I decided to try this card, but...maybe with a good custom bios I'll be able to push it past.

And a pic of the rig it's stationed in....cause, I just love this thing. = )
78Aqnrk.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work man! Keep on posting stuff like that, But change the title to xfx 290x 8gb overclocking and results so people will understand that this thread is about it.

Guess I hadn't thought to say "overclocking". I do love this card... I was able to finally break 16k graphics score in firestrike. Almost 19k GS with tess tweaks. A little bit of extra voltage was all I was able to accomplish with a custom bios.... It's unfortunate. I was hoping for much more.

It would seem my "forums skills" are lacking....can't figure out how to change the title. = P

eJoCsp5.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...did that. It just changed the name at the top of my first post, but not the thread title? /shrug

i keep telling people to buy a used 290x over a 970 but nooooo, amazing work man looks like one hell of a card.

Thread title updated.

Thank you!

I've been toying with some of the bios settings, and have found a little more voltage to make up for the vdroop. Was able to push up to 1331 last night on some of my test runs on FS Ultra. Previously I was only able to reach 1317 in GS1 and GS2. Ultimately, I'd like to see 1350.

I've been toying with some of the bios settings, and have found a little more voltage to make up for the vdroop. Was able to push up to 1331 last night on some of my test runs on FS Ultra. Previously I was only able to reach 1317 in GS1 and GS2. Ultimately, I'd like to see 1350.

Good luck:)

Back