• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with buying a laptop (convinced to build desktop)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I highly prefer Dell.
What's his budget?

His budget is under $1200CDN. I priced out an i5-6600 with 16gb ripjaws pc4-17000, gigabyte z170-hd3p, corsair 600w psu. for around $700cdn. I did not suggest an i7 as he is just doing this for fun/hobby. He prefers getting a laptop but I suggested getting a desktop for the money, plus 24" + monitors are affordable instead of looking at a 15-17" screen.

Unless he needs to take this editing on the road with him, definitely push him toward a desktop.
Better performance, cheaper, and better screens.

Let us know when laptop vs desktop gets nailed down though, then we can make some specific suggestions.

Unless he needs to take this editing on the road with him, definitely push him toward a desktop.
Better performance, cheaper, and better screens.

Let us know when laptop vs desktop gets nailed down though, then we can make some specific suggestions.

I finally talked him into building a pc instead. It is a budget build for a starting video editor/rendering.

I was reading that intel i7 is the way to go but he can't blow almost half his budget on a cpu. I was debating either a i5 4590 or FX8350. He is not interested in overclocking or games.
16gb ddr1833
mobo?
video card?

Can a mod move this to the right section?

Budget was $1200 CAD, right? You need an SSD in that build, ATM, and with the budget, I'd go with a SeaSonic Gold PSU. Also, I'd recommend a GPU to aid in video editing, something like this would be fine.

Budget was $1200 CAD, right? You need an SSD in that build, ATM, and with the budget, I'd go with a SeaSonic Gold PSU. Also, I'd recommend a GPU to aid in video editing, something like this would be fine.

I had $700 CAD stuck in my head. Remember he'll still need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Getting an nVidia GPU in there would be best though, Adobe will utilize CUDA cores.

Edit: Adding on a good monitor and a GPU, then leaving room for buying OS and keyboard/mouse in the $1200 CAD budget.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/pJ86YJ

Last edited:
I had $700 CAD stuck in my head. Remember he'll still need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Getting an nVidia GPU in there would be best though, Adobe will utilize CUDA cores.

Edit: Adding on a good monitor and a GPU, then leaving room for buying OS and keyboard/mouse in the $1200 CAD budget.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/pJ86YJ

Wow that is a good build, I am sorry for not updating this. My brother went back packing in eastern europe/korea for 3 months. Just got back and I showed him your list and he is happy with it!

Is that i5-6600 a skylake version? That link is showing $740CDN so I still have $400 to spend. I could add an SSD for his OS/apps and that WD blue as a storage hdd?

As I mentioned you can easily add a good monitor, keyboard, and mouse. There's the extra $400 in the budget.

Back