• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I short the board with this configuration?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KIP1790

I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme board sitting in a Thermaltake MSI case.... worse case ever! The problem is the CPU base on the board doesn't sit directly over the spacing in the back of the case. With the CPU fan back mount I am practically touching the case, which to me would potentially short and damage the board. Will this be ok, or do I need to make the opening bigger with an angle grinder (not preferred at all). Images attached for reference, really appreciate any feedback, thanks!
THERM_MSI.jpg THERM_MSI_2.jpg

Are the pads that tougch the mobo insulated ? If so then you should be OK. You could just fold up some paper and put it in there that would insulate it just in case.

They are just plastic pads to hold the mounting screws on, I guess they serve a dual purpose of holding the screws securely in place and preventing the metal mount from touching the board. But I don't know for sure and need to be 100% before I risk frying this board. I am also concerned that the AMD brackets are practically touching the steel case. Are you suggesting I put paper between those and the case? Thanks for you quick reply...

That's what I was suggesting. Fold it up to make it tight so it won't fall out. Then there's no worry

Back