• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS fan control?? or Speedfan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi, just a couple of questions. My motherboard is in my sig, and I wonder if anyone here can answer a couple easy questions:

1. Can I control the cpu fan (plugged into the cpu fan plug) speed from BIOS so that it never hits 100% or at least some kind of curve. I worked hard on getting my computer so quiet, and it is very quiet, but when the cpu gets to 35C the fan spins up to full, and there is no need for it to do that at that temperature. At full, I can hear it over the case fans, but anything at 80% speed or under it's quieter than the system.

2. Speedfan will not allow me to control the fan, which is weird, but I think it's because BIOS over-rides it, but I'm wondering if I can just plug the fan into one of the other fan ports instead, PWM1 and 2 (instead of CPUFAN), same connector, and same idea. Speedfan says that those sensors are active and 0% (no fans are plugged into that), so maybe I can control the CPU fan with Speedfan that way.

That being said, I tried running speedfan, and I like the software, but it seems it also does true-time monitoring of everything and that means it won't let my HDD's go to sleep, or will it? If it won't, then option 2 is out.

Please, any info on both of the above would be appreciated.

PS. Speedfan says ON/OFF besides the cpu-fan sensor, but something else (forgot now, like smartpower or something) besides the two unused pwm's, maybe that is important.

Thank you very much, sincerely,

me

From the manual

CPU Smart FAN ControlEnables or disables the CPU fan speed control function. Enabled allows the CPU fan to run at different speed according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on system requirements. If disabled, the CPU fan runs at full speed. (Default: Enabled)

Ilooks as if the only control would be through the software Easytune.

Ok, so I should disable it so it gets full power at all times, and then use speedfan to control it? or Easytune..

Ok, but my question still remains, will speedfan keep my HDD's (internal and external) on forever? Since it's always checking temps and smart status, it seems to me it wouldn't allow windows to shut down the drive. I tried it for a while and it didn't even let me external HDD sleep.

As far as BIOS, the RPM/temp ratio it uses is internal, cannot be changed?

I put it on SILENT in BIOS, and it works. For my purposes anyway, but there is also a MANUAL mode there, with PWM or VOLTAGE, and then there is a curve in BIOS, goes from 0.75/C to 2.75/V in .25 increments, so if use that, and put it on the lowest, that would put my fan on minimum all the time? I don't want that, but have no idea what those mean.

In more detail, in my BIOS, there is fan control, and it's AUTO, then there is also modes, silent, normal, and two higher ones. I changed it to SILENT and now the fan doesn't go above 1150RPM (stock EVO 212 fan) with daily operation, but the cpu temp now reaches 40C once in a while, whereas on NORMAL it never went above 36C, but I'm fine with 40C, it's no problem.

There is another option though, from AUTO to MANUAL, and then it highlights the curve by PWM, and has the above mentioned choices, from .75 to 2.75 divided by C, but it's a choice between them, not a curve to setup when the fan should be at what RPM, I'm just guessing that the lowest value puts the lowest voltage into the fan and has the least aggressive curve.

Last edited:
Back