• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to update?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

I'm trying to get my nieces computer to work after they had a tantrum and ripped the power cord from the PS. It had a HDD code saying aaaaa cant remember,It would go online but was slow so I thought I'd bring it home to repair.
The comp is,
Intel2.2
GB EP43-DS3L
4g Dominator ram
GTX275
tx750 PSU
Win 7

I had this computer for yrs and never had problems. I passed it niece my neice to play low level games.
Now I replaced the PS with a corsair CX-500 (my extra) and tried to run again.I did better but still said something about HDD. So I replaced the drive and reloaded windows. Now It works and goes online ,but I cant get it to update from MS. Maybe some one has ran into this and could help out

My neice and her family could brake a steal ball with a plastic hammer

Is Windows activated and legit?

Can you describe the symptoms when it won't update? When you click search for updates, what happens?

Do have a spare NIC laying around you could install and test through therE?

Is Windows activated and legit?

Can you describe the symptoms when it won't update? When you click search for updates, what happens?

Do have a spare NIC laying around you could install and test through therE?

I went to the start and clicked " window update" nothing happened,I let it try over night.
Tried a wireless and it was the same. You did read It will go online a serf just not update

- - - Updated - - -

Did you install Win7 from a disk with SP1? If not see if you can download that, install it offline, then update online.

I recently reinstalled Win7 and it took hours to start the update. Once it did the SP1 update everything went quicker.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win7

No I haven't tried this,I'll look into it

I did read that it gets online... yes...

You are just clicking on "windows update" as you stated, correct? Try 'searching' for windows update and going through it that way..(start orb, then in the search bar type windows update...you should see CHECK FOR UPDATES under control panel in the search window).

Also make sure Updates are not set to Never check. I think that disables the update service.

That is incorrect. "Never check" does *not* disable manually checking for Windows updates. ;)

Ok everyone I tried everyone ideas with on avail. I activated windows and I showed it worked( Windows is legit,I don't play that) Anyway I've changed the MB thinking they might have spiked something when ripping the power cord from the machine so many time, Still no update. Would the OS lock you out if it thinks I've changed to many parts?

All right, let's start from the beginning, this entire thread is about you not being able to get the Windows Update page to display?

What happens when you go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Windows Update?

Thanks guys,sorry I took so long to communicate the correct answer. Last night it started to download updates,so who ever said to give it some time was correct. Its downloading 230 updates with 1,247.6mb total,its 47% completed. I have NEVER had to wait 2-3 days for updates to start. I reload windows just about every year,and I can have this handled in a few hours. Then it takes longer to load my personal stuff.

Back