• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Scythe Fuma Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Scythe has released its entry into the world of tandem tower heatsinks: the Fuma. Scythe heatsinks all have Japanese names, and the Fuma is no exception: it means “wind demon” in Japanese. It is powered by two Slip Stream 120 PWM fans. This sounds promising, but unlike the seemingly unending series of 160+ mm towers, the Fuma is less than 150 mm tall. Is this heatsink a wind demon or a mere dust devil? Let’s find out!

Click here to view the article.

Hi

I have a Scythe Kama Angle rev B that is pretty old and the original fan died.For some time i have an FX8370 not overclocked and seems can't handle it without an exhaust fan.The tim is an MX-2 and the fan is a Lepa BOL.QUiet 1600rpm.I tried many fans combination and it barely keeps the temps under 60 C in games like Witcher 2 enhanced edition.With exhaust fan i can play Witcher 2 without the mainboard screaming at me that it passed 60C point..
So my question is ... Scythe Ninja 4 or Fuma ?

I like quiet over performance btw

My rig:
FX8370 non-oced
8gb ram Kingston
Gigabyte 970A-Ud3p
GTX 970
PSU: Corsair 750HX
Asus Xonar ST
Case: Nexus Caterpillar V1
Windows 10

Btw i like how the reviews are written...Very practical and little observations that i couldn't find in other reviews..

Best regards

Last edited:
Hi

I have a Scythe Kama Angle rev B that is pretty old and the original fan died.For some time i have an FX8370 not overclocked and seems can't handle it without an exhaust fan.The tim is an MX-2 and the fan is a Lepa BOL.QUiet 1600rpm.I tried many fans combination and it barely keeps the temps under 60 C in games like Witcher 2 enhanced edition.With exhaust fan i can play Witcher 2 without the mainboard screaming at me that it passed 60C point..
So my question is ... Scythe Ninja 4 or Fuma ?

I like quiet over performance btw

My rig:
FX8370 non-oced
8gb ram Kingston
Gigabyte 970A-Ud3p
GTX 970
PSU: Corsair 750HX
Asus Xonar ST
Case: Nexus Caterpillar V1
Windows 10

Btw i like how the reviews are written...Very practical and little observations that i couldn't find in other reviews..

Best regards

Make sure you use RAM low-profile RAM. Either heatsink will do nicely, though the Fuma is better, IMO. But if it is not available, the Ninja 4 will do.

I only buy etail cause I live in a small town and brick and mortar technology stores like Frys or Microcenter are no where near. When it comes out on NewEgg or Amazon I'll look at it again.

Well ...
I went in the shop this morning and grabbed a Scythe Ninja 4.They had a mugen 4, a shadow rock , and ninja 4 ...
Scythe Kama angle rev b was not meant for AM3+ but for AM3...It has an offset problem on am3+ ... anyway i will post results after results...

Fuma/Ninja4 and presurring

Firstly, thank you for your review especially, about the pressuring on mount plate.
Many (or all other?) never mentioned about this including Japanese's reviewer themselves.

Since they tested all cooler in a roll, I hope for a consistency of pressuring here.
They concluded that ninja4 is the best due to, same performance as CRYORIG H5 but much lower price.
I live in Japan and Scythe's price is much cheaper compared to imported stuff.
(Sorry for Japanese contents)
Ninja4: http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/125/1125389/index-5.html
Fuma: http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/125/1125389/index-6.html
H5: http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/126/1126353/index-3.html

So my questions are:
Should I worry about high pressuring the cooler on a thinner Skylake/Kabylake chip?
If yes, should I still expect these coolers performance as NH-D15? or I should buy the pricer from others (since both are top-line of Scythe).
And finally, what is your opinion about Fuma/Ninja4 result vairation.

Thank you

Good questions!

The variation of results with increasing mount pressure is to be expected. Whether a Skylake will be safe with this long term I can't say. However, Scythe has put out screw stops for some of its coolers and not others. Ask Scythe.

I know that Scythe coolers are cheap, but you must factor in your need to replace those sleeve bearing fans when they go bad. Admittedly, that will take some time but you should prepare for that day. You can either get 1300 rpm Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120 DB fans or you can get a pair of 2050 rpm PWM Gentle Typhoons (those are my favorite fan).

Even though they contributed to dishing my CPU, I like these Scythe heatsinks. The Ninja 4 is pretty. The Fuma cools well, even with low-rpm fans. (If you are doing that, get three matched lowspeed fans.) Even though it was difficult to mount, my daughter still uses my old Mugen 2 (with a pair of San Ace fans). You could say I'm a "fan."

ehume, thank you for your reply and concern.

Scythe Jyuni 120 DB is only 1,000 yen (while Fuma/Ninja4 is 5,000 yen), replacing fans after 1-2 years still keep the budget under nh-d15.
However, considering your comment, pressuring my Haswell should be for fine now but I plan to upgrade soon, so ... safety costs performance here.

Since I'm looking for a AIO's level performance here, the bigger D15/R1 may be my better chance.

I really hope for a bigger cooler from Scythe, my first cooler for core2Duo was also theirs and their price/performance is always really good.

ehume, thank you for your reply and concern.

Scythe Jyuni 120 DB is only 1,000 yen (while Fuma/Ninja4 is 5,000 yen), replacing fans after 1-2 years still keep the budget under nh-d15.
However, considering your comment, pressuring my Haswell should be for fine now but I plan to upgrade soon, so ... safety costs performance here.

Since I'm looking for a AIO's level performance here, the bigger D15/R1 may be my better chance.

I really hope for a bigger cooler from Scythe, my first cooler for core2Duo was also theirs and their price/performance is always really good.

The Fuma is big, and it uses two fans, even three fans. I think you won't see larger. Even the Mugen 5 is not larger.

I like the Gentle Typhoons and the San Ace fans best, though now that the Kaze Jyuni is dual ball bearing races, the fans should last a long time. Look at my results for the Fuma. Three 800 rpm fans, and only the SPL meter can hear it. You certainly won't. Now that's a quiet heatsink.

"It is probably safe for my CPU – for a short time only. This means the heatsink will dwell on the CPU for a day, but no more"

I really want to like this heatsink but losing 10c cooling power by using a standard "safe" mounting system is a bummer. I hope they come out with a 140mm version and perfect it. I Like the idea of what's basically an nh-d14/15 made for low flow and a single fan. The way they kept the spacing between the fin stacks is perfect. No need for extra fans since the one in the middle gets proper flow through both stacks and you don't have to add all that extra weight unless you feel like it.

Last edited:
Back