• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible PSU issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seabee

So I have been troubleshooting a low FPS issue with my son's rig. I have used 3 different video cards, a few different sets of memory, even reinstalled the games in question multiple times and yet the same issue exists.

System Specs:

AMD FX 6350 x6
Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
Asus R9 270X 4gb (Also tried XFX HD 6970 and XFX HD 6950 cards)
2x 2gb Patriot 1333hz (Also tried 2x 2gb Ripjaw 1600hz sticks and 2x 2gb Corsair 2000hz sticks)
BFG 750w PSU
Thermaltake 250w Crossfire graphics card PSU

For a little background, both PSU would probably be considered ancient in computer terms, easily 8 years old. I bought the TT graphics PSU because I thought the graphics card rails on the BFG failed approximately 6 years ago. I have since tried every configuration of using the rails between the 2 PSUs and the frames never go above 3-5, when they should be 30-50 easily with this setup.

I know its way overdue to upgrade to a new PSU, but what is the possibility of it being the PSU and not the motherboard or CPU(items I don't have extras of to troubleshoot)? I do not have the ability to test the PSUs as I don't own the equipment to do so.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

-Seabee

Have you watched the CPU, GPU, and motherboard temperatures when this happens?

Can you take some pictures of the inside of the case for us please?
If you can, when you post them, please host them locally to the forum.

The CPU gets up to 35c, GPU around 38c and the motherboard reads 28c.

One slight correction, the BFG is 650w, not 750w.

Rig2.jpg

-Seabee

Those sound like idle temps, not in-game temps.
I wouldn't be surprised if that motherboard is throttling with its lack of a heatsink for the VRM.

That said, the PSU is crap on a good day. I wouldn't trust any system to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that motherboard is throttling with its lack of a heatsink for the VRM.
Agreed.

Regardless of whether it's the issue or not I would replace the Psu. First because of it's age and second because more modern systems such as the one you have require more voltage on the 12v rail then they did on previous systems. If you look the BFG has the majority of the power on the 5v rail.

Usually there is a fan on the side panel blowing straight onto the NB and VRM, though I am thinking about getting some stick-on heatsinks to help out.

-Seabee

Agreed.

Regardless of whether it's the issue or not I would replace the Psu. First because of it's age and second because more modern systems such as the one you have require more voltage on the 12v rail then they did on previous systems. If you look the BFG has the majority of the power on the 5v rail.

That was my thought as well, just wanted to see if my hunch that the PSU was at fault was anywhere close to warranted.

-Seabee

Whoa, no idea where I pulled a 390 from, LOL! (EDIT: I see now, your signature!)

Just to be sure though, you are reading max temps off some software, right? Not 'live' temps? As when you stop gaming/stress testing, temps drop nearly immediately.

I am reading using HWMonitor and I read the 'current' value immediately after alt-tabbing out of game.

After a few more tests, I either think the PSU isn't suppling enough power to run full throttle all the time or something else is throttling back because at one point I was getting 45 FPS and the temp read 67c, but that was only for 10 seconds or so.

A PSU change will be done in the next few days and I will update this thread with any changes.
-Seabee

Yeah, you need to read the MAX value, not current...as I said, when you alt-tab out, that current reading drops immediately.

Typically, PSUs don't 'throttle' CPUs and GPUs. It works at speed, or it doesn't. But that PSU I wouldn't call good. Its old and needs replaced anyway. Once that happens, you likely have another issue with that motherboard throttling the CPU because of its lack of heatsinks on the VRMs and the airflow...

AS far as a PSU for this system and forward, go grab an EVGA Supernova G2 650W. Please don't grab another piece of garbage. We have a PSU guide (link in my signature) of known good PSUs. If you don't want to snag that EVGA, get one off the list!!! 650W is PLENTY for any system with any single GPU and overclocking. Any more is wasting money. :)

If you could post a screen shot of Hwmonitor after running the game it would be helpful. Then we could all be on the same page as far as what temps we are speaking of. If you're at 67c on the Cpu package temp that's a bit hotter then you want to be. Though, if the Cpu throttling is the issue, it's probably due to the Vrm section overheating. I still think replacing the Psu is a good idea regardless of whether it's the actual issue.

Here's how to host the picture.
Capture4.PNG

Yeah, you need to read the MAX value, not current...as I said, when you alt-tab out, that current reading drops immediately.

The current and max temps both read 44c for the GPU.

Typically, PSUs don't 'throttle' CPUs and GPUs. It works at speed, or it doesn't. But that PSU I wouldn't call good. Its old and needs replaced anyway. Once that happens, you likely have another issue with that motherboard throttling the CPU because of its lack of heatsinks on the VRMs and the airflow...

I will be picking up some heatsinks at the same time to put onto the VRM.

AS far as a PSU for this system and forward, go grab an EVGA Supernova G2 650W. Please don't grab another piece of garbage. We have a PSU guide (link in my signature) of known good PSUs. If you don't want to snag that EVGA, get one off the list!!! 650W is PLENTY for any system with any single GPU and overclocking. Any more is wasting money. :)

I was looking at picking up one of the Corsair 750w models listed in that thread.

-Seabee

if dayz is the only game you are having fps issues with, it is because its dayz. you can have quad fire titans and still get like 20-40fps. its a terribly coded game. i play arma all the time and the dayz mod for it even arma III isnt that great.

if you watch your gpu usage it will probably be at like 30% usage tops some reason that game will not use a full gpu.

likely nothing is wrong with your pc at all.

Last edited:
This happens in other games as well. All games have terrible FPS and all crash at some point in game play.

-Seabee

Back