• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible PSU issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you could post a screen shot of Hwmonitor after running the game it would be helpful. Then we could all be on the same page as far as what temps we are speaking of. If you're at 67c on the Cpu package temp that's a bit hotter then you want to be. Though, if the Cpu throttling is the issue, it's probably due to the Vrm section overheating. I still think replacing the Psu is a good idea regardless of whether it's the actual issue.

Here's how to host the picture.
View attachment 174269

The CPU never got to 67c, it was the GPU for a short time, about 10 seconds. The GPU seemed to be running quite well at that point, was getting 45 FPS, but like I said it didn't last long.

Just ran the game for 20 mins.

HW Capture.jpg

-Seabee

I saw between 20-80% load while playing, but it's not the Temps I am concerned about.

-Seabee

Temperatures can cause the issues you're seeing, hence us wanting to know about them.

I would agree if I were seeing high temps, which I don't believe I am, and hence am not concerned about.

Friday my son will be purchasing a new PSU, as well as some heat sinks to throw on the VRM. I will change out the PSU first and test, then put the heat sinks on and test. I will report my findings of each here.

-Seabee

I hope you have good luck with the PSU and heat sinks. My corsair 620w has been running for 8 years.

It seems neither was the issue. Installed heatsinks and the Corsair RM750i and the problem continues. I am at a total loss. 3D Mark scores are right where they should be.

-Seabee

Forgive me if you tried this already, as I only skimmed through the first page again.
Open Hwmonitor and run Prime Blend at least 20 minutes. Watch the temps keep the cpu under 70c and the package under 62c at stock this shouldn't be an issue. Watch the Cpu utilization, it should stay at or near 100% the entire time, if you see it dropping down you're likely still throttling due to the Vrm heating up. If it stays at 100% the whole time try running both Prime and the Heaven benchmark at the same time and see what happens.

I did a complete reinstall of everything from the ground up. Problem is solved, not sure what was the root problem. Thanks for all the help.

-Seabee

here is some issues which are commonly comes in psu failure.

Any power-on or system startup failures

Spontaneous lockups during normal operation

HDD and fan simultaneously failing to spin

Back